1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

finally bought my plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hiii98, Oct 28, 2009.

1. hiii98

hiii98 Member

thanks for advice for the few who gave it. I had the long thread about the 2002 chevy avalanche 2500. I went with a SnowDogg HD75 instead of the MD75. The HD is alot more heavy duty and should do a good job.

My next topic i would like to hopefully not turn into a 7 page thread is about a salter. Are they necessary? I found the saltdogg salter for 450.00 for the residential one, but the commerical saltdogg is build 100% exactly the same except the motor will throw the salt 30 feet rather than 15 feet. The price is about $200.00 more...

any advice on if i shoudl buy a salter at all if doing mainly residential? Can i charge alot more and will it pay itself off? Also the extra 15 feet from the commercial salter... is it really worth it? They both hold around 350 lbs of salt, but no sand.

oh also is one of those flashing yellow lights on top of the truck necessary...or not needed? I get the plow installed Friday. The install and Heavy Duty 7'6" plow cost me a grand total of $3,900.

2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

If your going to be doing driveways and backing into the road you should have a amber light for sure! in Minnesota i believe it is a law if you go in the road at all while plowing you have to have one.

Would like to see some pic's of your new plow on the truck.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pixs or Ban.

4. hiii98

hiii98 Member

shoot the dealer will install the plow this Friday today is Tuesday... i paid for it but they cant schedule me till then.. :(

i'm debating if i shoudl also buy the salter and install that as well

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

How many customers have asked about salting?

6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Exactly...

7. hiii98

hiii98 Member

thats fine pix or ban, the problem here is the dealer is 30-40 mins away, when i go there i either buy the salter or not and I cant do it until Friday. I'll be happy to post pics. But until then i have to make a decision on how important a salter is. Sounds like the amber light is critical.

8. hiii98

hiii98 Member

nice... hypocrite

9. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

Nice choice on the plow.

The salter is probably not entirely necessary for resi only, but will make you money if you have enough customers that want it. If you get the spreader, unless you plan on doing commercial, the residential model should be sufficient. (How often do you find 30ft wide driveways? )

As for the amber light, yes it is a very good idea to have one, but you probably shouldn't go overboard. If your truck looks like a rolling christmans tree it tends to piss people off in residential areas in the middle of the night. Depends on your area i guess.

10. hiii98

hiii98 Member

thanks for the info

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey you're back.....and calling out the "hypocrites" Nice!

Salter is not necessary. Handy if you need to do salting though. Might want to double check the spreader distance numbers. 15 foot throw is the same as a 30 foot path. Could be the exact same spec, just labeled differently.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  12. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Today is Wednesday... ;)

13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Nice to see you made a choice as to which plow to go with. I would get the sander, but that's your decision. Even if all of your customers don't want sale, some will, and it puts that much more in your pocket, The only question is how long it will take to pay itself off and start returning your money. If it were me and I could afford it I'd get it and start getting your return right away.

14. Snowdawg48865

Snowdawg48865 Junior Member

Bought a hd75 also

Hey hiii98 I also bought a new plow yesterday, i went to buy the ex80 and it looked like a monster for my truck, I ended up buying a hd 75 and the install guy still recomened putting in larger torsion bars. Im getting it put on nov 5 and I cant wait, let it snow!

15. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

:laughing: Rolling Christmas tree :laughing:

I agree, for now with only resi's you might just want to get a magnetic amber light that plugs into your cigarette lighter or power point. Here's a link for a very inexpensive one to get you by til you decide how far you want to go.

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.wolo-emergency-1-warning-lights/

.02 deposited :waving:

16. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

asps: Are those flat coats in your pic?

17. hiii98

hiii98 Member

[​IMG]

in a twist of fate i ended up buying a used meyer plow that came into my brothers work. as promised i attached a photo. it has wings and some back dragger bar thing, and a snow guard. paid 1200 for it and should mount right up to my truck. Good deal ?

18. nekos

nekos Senior Member

$1200 isn't a bad price for that plow. It's not as good of a deal as free like i offered you though :p

Anyway, good luck with you Western plow. :drinkup:

19. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Looks like a western to me not a meyers LOL

20. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

someone shoulda learnt you to read.... looks western to me.... but at least you did a really good job of securing it to the trailer......:laughing: