1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally back from Baltimore.....WOW!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We decided to hit Baltimore instead of D.C. One guy that went with me, his Aunt lived in Baltimore and lined us up with a private home owner association which was absolutely buried in snow. I met up with Collin and his crew from ColumbiaLand Landscaping. All I can say is holy snow! Roads were piled up 20ft, 4 lane roads were down to 1, maybe 1 1/2 lanes, it was nuts. We started doing alley ways...what a PITA! Several times we were stuck in 4ft of snow, I dont know how Collin maneuvered his F550 through some of the alley's. We managed to open up all the alley ways in about 5-6 hours then waited for the city to call. At first they said we will call you if we need you :laughing: I said we didn't drive 8+ hours to be on stand by! When the lady asked where we were from she said hold on, 2 minutes later we were issued our own purchase order and headed out. We started out relocating a gigantic snow pile so they could move in a snow melting machine. We knocked that out in less that 2 hours and from there started on the now dreaded "ZONE-6" good God!!!!!!!! We were met with nothing but impassible roads, cars parked everywhere and TONS of snow. Zone 6 is in a less desirable area of Baltimore to say the least. The first night there I was offered an 8 ball of something,lol. All in all the whole area was a disaster area. We plugged away on city streets averaging 18-24 hr days and finally we were sent home Friday afternoon....they ran out of money,lol. But all in all it was a great trip! Even after dealing with the pita public (pushing snow on sidewalks) The last night was the best! great, thankful neighbor's who bought us pizza (except for the one lady who was pissed snow rolled off a pile onto her sidewalk) she was an absolute B!TCH. we rolled the window up on her as she was screaming at us...that pissed her off even more :laughing: she called us every name in the book as I rolled the window up telling her to shut the **** up.
    Long trip, gallons of fuel, very hectic, tons of snow and no where to put it, long hours, meet new people and contacts, dealt with all kinds of people....but would do it all over again next week. Plenty of pics to come, we have to unpack and up load all the pics.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

glad to hear all went relatively well! sounds like you made the better decision to go to Baltimore as some who went to DC couldnt find much work. looking forward to the pics!

3. Brian Young

If we went down a day or two earlier we would have made a small fortune just in driveways! I guess 100 dollar bills were everywhere for tiny drive ways a day before we got there.

4. PTSolutions

mustve been quite the different scene, HarleyChvy was saying that no one wanted to pay when he went down to DC

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

ya gotta line up some kinda work before you go... to guarantee yourself work

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

So did you make any $$$?

7. PTSolutions

obviously your not going to jump into it blindly. he did say he was in contact with several contractors in the area but even the residents wouldnt pay $50 to clear their drives loaded with 30" of snow.

8. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

That 8 ball coulda came in handy workin 18-24 hrs at a time, hahaha-

For sure, everyone here is looking forward to seeing the pictures!

9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Sounds like a great adventure story to be able to tell for years to come...

I am more interested in hearing how much MONEY you made!

Did you cover your travel costs, lodging, food, etc... and still come back with a pile of money???

Let us know!

10. Brian Young

Put it this way, I covered all expenses, and after paying all the help it was still very, very well worth the trip! ;) Pics coming as soon as my wife can down load them, I must have 200 pics.

11. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Congrats man...gotta take risk in business to make money. Glad it worked out

12. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Enough to buy the F-800 That we talked about?

13. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Yes it was crazy, I don't even know how the F550 made it through some places, Funny thing is we drove by this road in our assigned area that was not even touched all week and the last day we were there I got to the end of a one lane road with no where to turn around and had to plow through it to get out of the area. It was about 33" deep of pure powder, I actually went right through it, but my cat skid did a lot of work that week and climbed right up the snow banks with the tracks on and the 10' pusher worked well a few times. I also have a ton of good pictures that I will upload next week. For now here are a couple pics from my phone...

F550 Stuck.jpg

Skid Baltimore.jpg

Street Clean Baltimore.jpg

Brians Truck-Baltimore.jpg

14. ColumbiaLand

Don't Worry We made out ok:Dpayuppayup

15. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Pic's or ban.......that's the rules:rolleyes:

16. PTSolutions

^at least they were smart enough to post in the commercial forum and not the pics forum, that buys them some time.

17. ColumbiaLand

enough with the smart a@@ comments

18. PTSolutions

easy for you to say. you got to go on a fun roadtrip, plow tons of snow, play with equipment and make a ton of money. what did we do?? sit here on plowsite waiting for you to come back and tell us about it. we like to live dangerously, oh wait i meant vicariously...

19. big acres

big acres Senior Member

That's fabulous... but real numbers are much more exciting?!!!!!

20. Indy

Indy Senior Member

....................................:cool: