1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

finally almost ready!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

So i bought a 1990 gmc 2500 with a plow for 1000 bux

i got the truck thinking ok it needs atranny and maybe some new brakes.

so far i have done the following

tranny
    tranny lines
    front brakes
    rear brakes
    rear spring kits for brakes
    new floor
    new driver side rocker
    drivers side door shell was rotted out so i threw some sheeting on it.
    new alternator
    new tires
    undercoat new floor
    new rear axle u joint
    new rear passenger taillight

what still needs to be done tomorrow

fix seat slider
    replace some fuses
    rewire rear taillights passenger almost done
    install new catalytic converter
    finish driver side cab corner
    paint floor
    install new main brake line from front to back
    put new oil pan on
    change oil obviously
    check batteries to see if they can hold a charge they were sitting for a year

Hopefully i have named it all off. All in all not a bad days work to do tomorrow and then
    register the beast and drive striaght to the dump to empty all the garbage the previous owner had left in the back.

Then wait patiently for more snow. This white gold i am telling you once it starts coming i have a feeling i will will always love it, well once i got the truck on the road lol.

2. ScnicExcellence

i keep thinking though with the amount of money i spent into this truck i couldve just bought a fully hydraulic plow to fit my explorer and then used that and not had to do all this stuff, oh well got a truck i can sub with now i guess.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Your better off not putting a plow on your daily driver anyhow. I gave it a lot of thought this year, and decided to pick up a plow truck, instead of putting a plow on my daily driver. I got lucky enough to find not just one, but two cheap trucks, that I didn't have to do much to.

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I know ur somewhat new, but were not going to talk to you intill you get some PICS posted :D

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

At least you know your truck inside and out now.

6. ScnicExcellence

yeah i guess i can say that i know it that well,

if i had to replace the tranny again i could say i think i could do it within 6 hours out and in without problem. if i had a hoist to do it on i could do it in 4 hours max.

The truck will be getting new molded rockers put on in the spring, and new cab corner in the spring. for now i just used sheet metal and bent and welded into place.

some pics will be when i pull it out of the garage and have room to take pics, i am doing all this work in a single car garage and have 2 feet on each side of the truck to do work. very tight working space, very confined.

the truck is 18 feet long and the garage is only 20 ft long.

so very tight working conditions gets very frustrating and tools are always flying around at the walls and stuff when to frustrated lol.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  7. ScnicExcellence

so i got another battery today as one of the two was bad so i charged the good on and bought another one from the junkers. the one i bought has more cca then the one that was in it.

it took me a half hour looking through all the damn mess at partsource for the fittings to connect the brake line, as one end was different then the other.

i just can't wait to have everything done, i woke up a bit late today and didn't get anything done yet. i will be starting in a hour and hope to have things almost completed. Tomorrow i need to get a new driver side taillight circuit board as the one in the truck is blown.

truck will be going out for the test drive tomorrow. to check the gear changing and everything.

8. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the town night life!

Looks like we might be getting some action Sunday- Monday around herepayup

Post some pics so we can keep an eye out for you. We're red unmarked Chevy's, one with a Bobcat 463 in the trunk:eek::nod:

9. ScnicExcellence

i am white 90 gmc

i will be out on monday with the truck, had to get the plates and stuff monday morning didn't get to the mto sat. but right now i drive a burgundy ford explorer with a busted out back driver side window. I do my work in columbia and fischer hallman and columbia and erbsville.

I have been paying atention to weathernetwork and weather office they both keep changing their minds.

10. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

The game will be where the freezing line ends up. We are close to it.

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I had to put trani line on my 1989 2500.

12. ScnicExcellence

i wish all i had to do is put tranny line i wouldve been done and laughing long time ago lol

I am going out right now to finish the truck got to

bleed brake lines

bolt up the new oil pan and put in the new gaskets for the filter housing

weld the catalytic converter in place

install new talilight

then put the newer batteries in and start 'er up and go for a run, if nothing else is wrong then i am done, i should be finished in about 2 to 3 hours.

I think when i am done i will take the truck to the school down the street from me. give 'er a try.

Then i can go out and shovel some snow considering it looks like we will have enough of it tonight.