1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

final decision - Sno-way or ? (Curtis-Fisher)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ed salvatore, Sep 18, 2005.

1. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Hey Guys,

Talked to a Sno-Way dealer today who finally somewhat sheepishly has answered the $64K question. Does a 600 lb sno-way w/250 lbs of down pressure backdrag as well as an 850LB plow. The answer was essentially yes, about the same. This is what I always thought, or at least had trouble comprehending otherwise. Unless someone can offer something different or dissuade me (and I almost hope they can, because downpressure sound like a great concept), then any other comprable plow becomes interesting and available.

Aside from the advantage of being able to carry a lighter plow around until you activate downpressure, does anyone have some concrete experience they might be able to offer as to why the sno-way is a better choice than the heavier plow when it comes to the backdrag advantage??? Please help as I'm really searching here and about to purchase an 8' of some brand, but am interested in being able to backdrag.

As always thanks alot in advance for any advice/personal experience.

2. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Ed, are you getting the downpressure concept here? Think about it, what is going to work better, a plow with it's own weight or a plow with it's own weight + constant hydraulic pressure forcing the plow down. It's a no brainer!
  3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

The downpressure design comes from a front loader. Think about it this way, you have the hydraulics doing the work actively rather than relying solely on the force of gravity.

We've had SnoWay's for years without any trouble. They scrape and back-drag better than you can imagine.
  4. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

going with snbo-way for down pressure

I thank you ALL who commented regarding the sno-way plow I was inquiring about. To SONJAAB, :drinkup:, dismissing a little playful banter between us, all GTO's, any years, are great cars, I wish I owned one today. I thank you too for your comments.

I think I'll go the sno-way route with an 8' & trip edge for about $4600 installed. Unfortunately, I don't have a dealer nearby so will have to drive a bit and roll the dice on warranty repairs. Interestingly though, both the dealer and the factory tech stated that a 650lb sno-way with 200lbs down pressure will be "about" the same as backdragging with an 850lb plow.

But users, especially lawnking, have convinced me instead that the down pressure will be a much greater advantage, and that it really does work well. I just want to be able to drag clean away from a garage or some other structure.

Thanks again to all who commented, it's a great forum I hope to add to, and take from.

Ed, Cape Cod
  5. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

sno-way, good choice

Ed, post her'e after the first storm and give us a review. Find the most comfortable place for the remote and velcro it in place, you don't want the remote to fall out of the truck into 6" of snow when you jump out to clean the wipers! Good luck. Scott