1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

final choice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chev4life, Jun 28, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

i ve decide to make a 383 stroker becuz 350's are easy to find and fix. so i was wondering what the horsepower rating would be with the 383 stroker kit, triple valve springs, roller rockers, double roller timing chain, 296-2 crane cam power max, 650 holley double pumper,Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Manifold, k&n air filter, hedman hedders headers i figure it would be putting out around 400 horse what do you think?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You'd probably be pretty close to 350-400 HP if built right,but it won't be a very good truck motor,or street motor.You would need a pretty high stall (loose) convertor and lots of rear gear to keep the motor up in it's powerband.

The triple valve springs are overkill for the street or even off road,and will kill the guides and seats in short order.They have such good valvespring technology now that triple springs are unneccesary.A good set of double springs is more than enough.Using light weight valves,retainers and keepers,and good push rods and lifters,will keep the weight down,and reduce valve float,so you don't need big springs to control it.

Double pump carbs aren't really neccesary either,and are harder to tune.Get a good 650 Vac secondary,it will be more drivable and forgiving if it's off a wee bit.

The airgap manifold is probably to much,go with a good double plane,like a Performer or Performer RPM.

Use an RV cam,and you could even advance it a bit from stock if you want to bring the powerband down depending on the convertor\gearing and type of driving you will be doing.The rule for cams is pick what you want,and then go one smaller.Too much cam is way worse than not enough.You can always increase the rocker ratio to get more lift,without a duration increase.This will make more power with out affecting idle and bottom end as much.

You might also want to look at a GM crate motor.They have lots of prebuilt configs that make good streetable power,and they are all new.You can get them complete as well,with distributor and carb already set up.

3. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

well thanx man for your expertice in engines i think im not gonna throw that motor in the truck im gonna put it in a car do drag friends with and i have one friend that im very competitive with and he has a 80 trans am that hes putting a 403 in and he thinks it just the **** so i kinda want to kick his ass to shut him up a little bit and maybe win a little bit of money later on. what i eventually want to do when i get a little more cash is buy a 454 or a 455 but yeah know 15 no job kinda hard to do now so thanx for your advice i appreciate it.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

No problem :waving: