1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Final check on wiring reverse lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Woodland, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I'm getting ready to wire up and install two 55w "work lights" as auxiliary reverse lights for the new truck. I installed them on the last truck but it's like I'm starting from scratch (bad memory). So here goes...

The lights are supposed to go on ONLY when the truck is in reverse. No always on toggle switch involved.

Wire from positive battery terminal (with inline 15a fuse) to 87 terminal on a 40a relay
    Wire from 30 terminal to the lights (lights grounded individually)
    Wire from 85 terminal to [switch] (or in this case, trigger to turn lights on when in reverse)
    Wire form 86 terminal to ground

Questions:

the wire from term. 85 needs to tap into a wire that gets power when the truck shifts to reverse. What wire should I tap into?

what gauge wire should I use for the various connections to maximize light output?

should the relay be grounded to the negative battery terminal, or somewhere on the frame?

should connections to relay, under the hood, be protected in some way? siliconed?

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You need to change pins 30 and 87 so it looks like

Wire from positive battery terminal (with inline 15a fuse) to 30 terminal on a 40a relay
    Wire from 87 terminal to the lights (lights grounded individually)
    Wire from 85 terminal to [switch] (or in this case, trigger to turn lights on when in reverse)
    Wire form 86 terminal to ground