1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wild bill, Oct 10, 2009.

1. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hey guy's getting ready to try to find the passenger compartment air filter on my 01 2500hd only found one post related to it ,but i am little unclear on the location of it .does any body have a illustration of the filter location ,and easiest way for replacing it .thanks from clueless in davenport .:confused:
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't get you a real pic on such short notice but an image will suffice. Rather self explanatory. Just remove the under dash cover and you'll see the door that holds the filter in the HVAC box. A single screw holds the retainer door in place. Simply remove the screw and swing the door down and pull the filter down and out. Getting the cover out of the way is toughest part, requires a little dexterity.

3. wild bill

thanks for the reply b&b ,the air flow never has been good since new .i wonder about just leaving them out ?
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can do that. Pre-'99 trucks and '03-current trucks don't use them. Kind of tells you something doesn't it?
  5. wild bill

yea i think i am going to leave them out !
  6. wild bill

well i got them out ,man what a pain ! they were really packed with a lot of sh*t i pulled the plastic cover down just enough to pull them out (came out in a 90 ) it would have to come off completely to put them back in one piece . :cry:they are just before the heater core i wonder how long it would be before the core plugged up .
    off course it was in there for eight years .:confused:i wonder if they rerouted the air flow on the newer ones to dump the debris elsewhere .(playing engineer and over thinking the situation )
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The non filter equipped HVAC boxes aren't much different from those that are. In fact, you can retro the filters into a box not originally equipped with them.
  8. wild bill

well i got it all buttoned up and a big difference in air flow .a few pic's of nasty filter's :waving:

9. Diemaker

Diemaker Junior Member

I changed my filters for the first time yesterday. $17 at advance auto parts seems worth it to me. Mine were worse than the pics of yours. Out of a 99 Silverado.
  10. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I know what I am doing tomorrow, I have noticed how I have less air flow over the years in my 02 2500HD and wondered why. I wonder no more
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You guys experiencing reduced airflow are the reason GM dropped the filters all together in the trucks after '02. Few knew they even existed so they were often overlooked during maintenance intervals. Due to that the dealers were getting trucks in left and right under warranty for poor HAVC airflow complaints.

So they simply fixed the issue by omitting them all together. :rolleyes:
  12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

But think of the bottom line improvements! Same housing so no retooling costs, no filters to install so they save a few bucks per truck produced with no reduction in MSRP...that adds up in a big way across a half million trucks per year.