1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

filter on pump clogs reguraly

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dansauto, Feb 10, 2010.

1. dansauto

dansauto Junior Member

after sever hours of plowing i notice the blade moving slow in all directions. must pull starter and pump and clean the screen. what can cause this screen to become cloged that often. has new starter motor, problem was there before replacement. its is a older unimount i beleive

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You need to flush your system thoroughly.

What plow do you have and with what pump assembly?

3. dansauto

dansauto Junior Member

solonoid isarmatic 3a if that makes any sense. how do i go about flushing system? would there be any other reason maybe a colapsed hose or anything like that? looks like i have been spending more than i am making

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It very well could have a collapsed hose, but I don't think that's your issue. If any of your hoses appear collapsed or are...sticky to the touch in warm climate, then their most likely due to be changed out.

you have an older style pump that has probably seen it's fair share of action. Most plows are lucky to see fresh fluid every year, let alone filters and cleaning. Thus a system full of contaminants. It's a very common thing. Even with perfect maintenance, your still going to have component breakdowns contributing to more contamination. In short, your probably well over due for a good flush.

As you may or may not be aware; Fisher and Western are pretty much one in the same when it comes to the hydraulics and electrical. The Western Isarmatic is called the SEHP in the Fisher world.

You want page 5: http://www.fisherplows.com/pdfs/26404_061504.pdf

Make sure to clean the reservoir out completely with a can of brake cleaner and rags. The build up on the walls will come loose with movement of new fluid, thus clogging your screen again.

If the problem persists, it maybe time for a new pump.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=93081

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The other question, what exactly is clogging the filter?

6. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

We have several Unimounts that clog the filters with aluminum chips. I've checked them up and down without finding the source. We pull the motor and pumps and clean the filters every 3 or 4 plowings.

Once you get an oil suction set-up to remove the fluid, it goes reall quick.

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You might want to check the walls of the casing, and also underneath the pump.. I wonder if your getting metal shavings from the bolt holes??

8. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

Metal shavings most likely from the angle cylinder walls.

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

contamination

if it's aluminum chips ,your probably loosing the internal pump ! black cotton material would be the cylinder packings going away check the angle and raise ram's for pitting they will wipe out the packing's and go into the screen .