1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fill Plug on Rear End.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

My 1995 F-350, 4x4, has a leaky gasket on the rear diff cover. I am going to replace it. I wanted to know were the fill plug is. I have the full floating rear axle. Also what kind of fluid would I use. I think my repair manule says hypoid gear oil. Thanks
    Shane

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Look for the fill plug on the front side of the diff housing, usually on the driver side. If there is any grease or mud build up on the housing, you may have to dig around with a screw driver to find it. A good tip to follow is to make sure you can remove the fill plug BEFORE you drain the diff fluid. If you drain it first and then discover you can't remove the fill plug it makes it a real pain to get the truck to a shop that can remove it for you. As to what to use for fluid... any name brand gear oil (hypoid fluid) will work fine. Your truck will call for 80W-90 as far as viscosity, the brand is up to you. If the truck has a limited slip diff make sure to add the recommended additive for it too. It's available at most NAPA stores under the "Lube Gaurd" brand name (part # 765-2597) or you can get it from any Ford dealer (part# 135454).

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you clean all the stuff out of the plug. It should take a 3/8's drive SHORT extension and ratchet to get it loose. Make sure it's in straight & square, drive it in bit with a little hammer action. If it's been in that long it may take a bit to get it out. I had the guys at the tranny shop round the square hole on my transfer case's plug. I played hell getting it out again!

4. jdanforth

jdanforth Member
    from maine

does it matter

does it really matter where the drain plug is??The new cover should have one.Thats they way it is on 93 f250,or am I missing somthing::confused:

5. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Jdanforth- It depends if its the front axle or the rear axle. On the rear axle the fill plug is the differental on the driver side. The front axle have the fill pulg right out on the pan, That is that if you have the dana 60 front end I believe the F-250 front end have the dana 50 or 55 those are the independent front ends and you have to use a small hand pump to remove the old gear oil. because its a pain to pull off that whole fornt axle pan.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Every Dana front axle I have ever seen has to be suction pumped. It's even a good idea even if you have a drain plug on the rear cover to pull off the cover and check for shavings and get all the oil and sludge out. Wipe it out with paper towels and inspect the spider gears, pinion and ring gear. Check your vent line too, make sure the vent valve is in place at the far end and it's still tied down above the axle. When you drain the oil let it sit 24 hours in the pan, if it's getting water the water will separate out and be on top of the oil.