1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fill Plug nut frozen

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by aperfcrcle, Oct 12, 2010.

1. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

well, went to go put some new fluid in the plow for the first time since i got it back in may, and what do you know the fill plug cap is completely stuck on... I got it by the looks of it, a quarter of the way out and now its somehow stuck... Cant tighten it, cant loosen it... It wasnt even easy to get it to that point, I had a wrench with a hammer bashing it out... I really dont know what the hell it could be, it almost looks like the nut is to big for the opening. This is really starting to piss me off, this plow has been nothing but a problem since the day I got it and i am really scared to see whats going to happen when i ACTUALLY start plowing with it... any help would be greatly appreciated..

I already doused it in WD and another brand of "rusty bolt loosener" whatever you want to call it..

2. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

heres a pic of the little *******..

IMG_0069.jpg

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It happens. Its a steel nut going into the softer cast housing. Were you using a square socket? If it is reallt seized best thing to do is pull the motor off (two bolts) then get a socket with a long bar. If it rounds you can also use a pair of vice grips. Once you get it out try chasing the threads, if not you will have to drill and retap it bigger.

I avoid the plugs all together except if I need to add fluid. When I do fluid changes on the old SEHP units I just pull the motor, remove the top pin on the cylinder and then dump fluid out. Then wipe out interior to get sludge of bottom of resevoir. Tip the housing back up, attach pin and then pour fluid right into opening where motor goes.. Then just bolt motor back on.

4. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

thank you flipper for the quick help... I think i will try doing taking the motor off as you said.. Do you think it will be ok if I just leave the fill cap the way it is now after i put the fluid in? thanks again

5. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

well that was a waste... took the motor off and put the fluid in and what could go wrong next? it doesnt angle left or right.. of course why would things be easy? I have had enough of this plow, I am taking it to get serviced tomorrow and hopefully they can solve the headache because I cant deal with it anymore.. thanks for your help again flipper..

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I was going to say PB Blaster, let it sit overnight then give it a shot.

7. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

hey guys, just wanted to give you an update. Seems to be that my plow not only gives me a headache, but the people at the dealership who worked on it to haha. I brought it at 8 am and went back at 1:30 to pick it up. They told me the lift ram was bad as well as the packing nut. This explained why I could never depress the ram when unhooking the plow. They did a full service on it, fluids, blah blah... So i walk out and what do you know? its still leaking fluid out of the fitting for the left angle ram. The guy seemed really frustrated and told me to come back at 5:30 to pick it up. So i laughed and said no problem, needless to say it was done and all fixed up when i went to pick it up and it came off very easy. Actually think i got it off in a minute haha. Im just glad I got it fixed and ready for snow...