1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

File format help

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by farmerkev, Aug 3, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I took some videos with my camera today and I want to put them together in windows movie maker. The files are MOV files, and wont work with the windows program. I bought a converter system a while back, but its impossible to figure out, and the only files I get to work with it dont have sound. Any ideas on programs I could use or just any advice in general?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same problem here you can't really covert them to work in windows movie maker , I think?

3. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

*.MOV is a Apple (Quicktime) file extension. Try downloading quick player. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

That should allow sound and video to be played. As far as editing the videos, try quicktime pro. http://store.apple.com/us/product/D3381Z/A. $29.99 and you should be all set.

Windows media player has a Apple codec (allows *.mov's to be played) I will look for it, if I find it i will post the link.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  4. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

6. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Once you download it and install the codec, your MPEG-4 videos (*.MOV files) will play in Windows Media Player. If you open the .MOV file from inside WMP you should not have an issue, it should start to play. If you are opening the file from off your desktop or "my computer" or other file folder, you may have to right click on the *.mov file and go down to "open with" then choose WMP to play the file.

There really should be no other tricks. The file that you downloaded and installed is really not a program that you use, it is more of just a file that it attached itself to WMP wich allows MPEG-4 (*.MOV) video files to be played through WMP.

7. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

This same download should work for you as well Grandview.