1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Figuring out my billing for yesterday

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bad Luck, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

..and I actually feel bad. Anyone ever feel bad for charging people so much? To me, I think the rate is fair, especially given the amount of snow we had. :eek:

2. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Just think of the wear on the equipmant...

Then think of me... no plowable snow in 58 days.

It happens. Remember, this could be your last event....

What your billing now, makes it all average out.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Yea im gonna be doing that tomorrow. Most places are going to get billed for 3 pushes and some 2.

I don't really feel bad for what they are gonna pay because we got friggin 16inches, and my Old GMC took a beating.

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If you don't feel guilty sending out the bills, your not charging enough.

5. Rick Danger

Rick Danger Junior Member
    from NJ

I don't feel guilty, I only feel like a dick for the times that I don't charge enough.
    My Dad once told me if no one is complaining, you're not charging enough.

6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I read this and thought not one bit would I feel sorry for billing too much.I'm not sure what your final total was out your way but if I have to work in 20 inches or snow I'm getting paid good for it.Think about your bills you owe then ask if yourself if you should feel sorry for billing them.I have no idea what your charging and I really dont want to know but I'll gaurantee you I'll be getting all my bills caught up and then some after that storm...How many called and had the nerve to complain that there drive wasn't cleaned out? They would be paying the most...payup payup

7. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Good quote Joe D. I am with ya there. I billed multiple plows on last years big storm in Jan. and had no complaints so the same will be done again. As long as you arent blantantly screwing somebody why would you feel bad. They agreed to the price. Right?

8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

well the fact is that when you were out there in your truck were they the ones doing all the work? You earned you pay:rolleyes: some times in the mowing season i see my bills and i'm like wow i feel so bad but then i think hey they have the money i should get paid.:)

9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Back in 99 we had 21.6" of snow. I had one property, that had an overnight total of $2900. I didn't feel bad at all. payup

And like Rick said, if EVERYONE is happy and there are NO complaints, you're hosin' yourself! :nod:

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would not feel guilty at all,they agreed to the price before the season started.When it wasn't snowing and they were saving money not paying you did they feel guilty?

11. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I billed for 3 pushes. BUT what I also did is went back to each acct Mon am & cleaned the drift's, entrances. Told 'em no charge for that. Makes them fel like there getting thier moneys worth worth.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I don't feel guilty one bit. For these deeper snows, I WORK for the money.

It's the little 2-4" snows that I'm close to $400/hr that I often feel guilty.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's a game of averages. This 16" dumper is getting me close the my magic number, the point where I've had enough snow to start relaxing about meeting my target $. the profit % jumps considerably now. why get upset/guilty because it came all at once instead of in 4,4" storms. If the customer doesn't want to pay for snow removal let them move to Belize. The way this winter has been this storm shouldn't bust anybodies budget. payup:D

14. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

You feel WHAT?????I don't understand,I do this for a living.I don't work another job and take a day off when it snows,This is how I pay for my new house,new trucks,my sons education etc etc .It hasn't snowed in 3 weeks.

Here is a example.First time working in 30 days.We got 22 inches of snow plowed for about 25hrs,made $5000.Now divide that 5K by 30 days[you didn't work]=$166.66[per day].That doesn't come close to paying my monthly bills.I need more snow this month to cover all my expenses.

15. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Yeah I just did my billing for the week... Total = $0.00 :(

16. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I can't wait for the $$$ to start coming in.

17. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

yep thats how i figure i am charging the right amount

and when they see it if they dont go OMG or HOLY S.... its not enough ;)

18. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

dont feel guilty at all

it was light fluff and on the w/e so i only did one push on my residentials.but because it took longer to do them i charge an additional charge instead of hitting them twice.ill still get at least one whiner but next time his drive will be done twice if he does whine about an extra 10 bucks.its funny because he has money,works,is in his 50`s and complains.all my other reidentials are elderly (little or no money)and their the main reason i do it this way is to help them out.i make the real money on my commercial work anyways.dont feel guilty you need to get paid for your work but just be fair and you`ll have happy customers.for the most part anyways.

19. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

ya i know how you feel, it feels kinda mean charging some of these older people $50 60 70 a driveway when it over 15 inches, but hey when you blow youre turbo in youre ford f350 that storm ( me) well then ya it doesnt feel so bad anymore!