1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Figure out pricing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by big450es, Dec 14, 2010.

1. big450es

big450es Junior Member
    from PA

How do you guys figure out pricing on plowing and salting. Ive plowed drive ways for about 10 years now and Im looking at starting to plow a small commercial lot, about 4000sf, im thinking about charging 10sf for $1, so for 1-3 its $40, 3-6 its 50, 6-9 $60, 9-12 $75 that includes salting. Thanks
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck with getting 400 dollars for less than 1 acre up to 3 inches of snow. Do a search, you will find alot of information on pricing.
  3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I think your math is off, but I think you are saying you will do the lot 1to3 for $40. is this correct?
  4. kyfireman2004

kyfireman2004 Junior Member

A huge pole for plowing and salting would be nice......breaking down sqft or acre's by inch's....
  5. LOWBALL ALERT!!!!! lol In all seriousness you are off your rocker charging $40 for a commercial lot with salting. Hope that was at least per push not per event. Do you even know your overhead costs not to mention the increased liabilty potential you expose yourself to when entering the commercial property end?(you are properly insured right?). Just keep in mind those dollar figures you are stating arent pure cash in your pocket profit.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  6. big450es

big450es Junior Member
    from PA

yes it should have been for 100 sf, with the set up i have now it should only take less than15 mins to do the lot, no obstructions and straight pushes. Even with costs im still making money on this one
  7. I still think $40 for a commercial lot of any size is way too low, however if you are covering your costs and making a profit that is acceptable to you, that is your choice. Just remember that it will take alot of pushes on a profit margin like that to cover a new tranny etc or any other expenses that can and always seem to pop up. The way I look at it is yes you may be covering your expenses for that one job, but are you also making enough to be able to put good money away to cover ya when something goes wrong? just some food for thought. Best of luck to you, and hope this winter is good to ya.
  8. Buy the book from ProfitsUnlimited (Wayne Volz) on here. Make yourself do the worksheets in the back. Don't leave any line blank and don't guess. Do it.I did and am finding I have to have $88 per hr. for my only truck w/ new plow and labor.