1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fighting Multiple problems MM1

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Clint S, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I am fighting multiple problems with my 02-03ish MM1 EZV. The first one is the plow suddenly dropping and often the float light stays on and the plow will not work until you shut the truck down. I have examined all the wiring and it looks good and the down buttion is VERY touchy (like if you just brush the down button it drops down and you have to push the others, also if you tap the angle button real quick it goes down and inch as well as over an inch) so I hopefully narrowed it down to a faulty stick. This has been happening long before the second problem. The second problem is that foften the plow will go 1/2 way up and stop (seems like the same spot each time), I can release the button and push it again and it will go up the rest of the way, OR sometimes it will just go up 1 tick at a time about a 1/2 an inch or so, like tick, tick, tick and it would have gone up 1.5 to 2 inches. The angle works fine in both instances if it does this, I took the motor off and cleaned up the inside. Could the second problem be a sticking valve. If so which one. Thanks

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Did you replace the Hyd. fluid or just stick the same stuff back in? If so, are you %100 sure its at the right level. What are using for hydrulic fluid?

3. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm getting ahead of myself. First I would replace your controller. This could be an additional symptom to the first, just a progression.

Second is the Fluid, Make absolutley certin its not ATF and is at the right level. The EZV is pretty finiky when it comes to the pump. Just a side note, if your having the dealer flush your system for you, you may want to double check there work.

Third thing to check would be the Packing nut, It's possible that it's too tight. This wouldn't be my first thought though due to the first problem. But if it is in fact two unrelated issues, it would explain your second problem.

Final thing to check for is a blown in line fuse in the harness. Yes it can be blown and still work. I found this out the hard way when going to the dealer. $1.00 part cost me alittle over $200.

4. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

As far as the fluid I change it every year. I am using a snow plow oil I got from NAPA, our local parts store. They said it was compatible with Fisher plows. I think it is blue. I have been using it for the past 3 seasons due to my local Fisher dealer leaving the area. Do you mean the packing nut on the ram. I replaced the ram last year. Worked fine for 1/2 of the season and then the problems started. At first it would lower suddenly about once a week or less and as the season got towards the end it started lowering way more often and then the second symptom started.

5. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

The fluid is blue. I just checked it. A quick question on the level. When I took the top plug out it came out pretty good. Do you check the level with the ram up or down. I am assuming it should just dribble out not pour out like it did. Could I have overfilled it?? And could overfilling it cause a problem??

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yes, the packing nut on the Ram. It's very common for a packing nut to friction it's self tight. especially if its new and nicely lubed. But I really don't think that would be it. It's worth a check. I would start with the controller. Then the in line fuses. I have an extra controller I would sell you cheap, but it's for a straight blade. I don't think there interchangeable like the sticks are.

7. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

No the straights and the V are different. My brother in law has a straight and I checked. It works fine some of the time so I would think it is not the packing nut. Any ideas on the fluid fill, ram up or down and could Overfilling it cause anything.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

All the way down. Not likeley that you over filled it. Thats just natural preassure you get after use (since you initial filled it). You would also be getting more symptons then what you have, almost the oppisite.

9. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I will start with a new Stick and go from there. I am also going to replace the Motor too I think. They are fairly cheap and I will keep the old one for a spare. If all that fails?????????????????????????????

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

11. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Will check the fuse tomorrow, but I remember checking it last year and it looked good. Going to check E pay fro a controller

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have all the classic symptoms (actually every :D) of a failing controller Clint. But an internally corroded grill connector can cause the same issues so be sure to verify the GC is good inside before totally condemning the controller.

Don't fool around with a randomly dropping plow...very unsafe indeed. :nod:

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

good luck. You know Fisher is having a %15 off deal right now? Atleast they are here in maine, NH, and MA. .........$292.00 for a new Fish Stick part # 9800 . I can't get over what they charge for them. Total rip off.