1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fifth wheels

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 1 bad bolt, Jan 25, 2009.

1. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

we just bought a fifth wheel travel trailer and looking at a 2004 extended cab f-350 with the short box. does any one know if you still need to use a slider style hitch to keep the trailer from hitting the cab of the truck.
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

any 6ft bed you need a slider unless very careful ! i have seen the damage and it isn't pretty .some people get along just fine but they have been towing them for year's and aware how quick you can get into trouble .they can range from $300.00 to $500.00 compared to about $3000.00 to repair the cab .
  3. speedy

speedy Senior Member

I think the sliders are more meant for the 'supercrew' and other trucks with the shortened shortboxes. A 6.5' normal shortbox you should be OK. If you need to jack-knife to get into an ultra-tight camping spot, then just slide the 5th back manually.
  4. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

ok i was thinking i would be ok with the 6.5 bed just wasnt sure since the 5th wheel set up is new to me, just looking for some advive coming from someone who may have a similar set up
  5. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Uhhh your gonna need a slider. You may not need one of the automatic sliders that move the trailer automatically when you start to turn, but I would highly recommend one(either a manual one, or the autoslider). You dont want to end up in a situation where you are almost jacknifed and have NO way to move the trailer. Sliders are NOT JUST meant for supercrew trucks, ya there are 5 1/2 ft beds on some trucks...but not on any 3/4 or 1 ton trucks...those are only on half ton rigs.
  6. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

ya thats the problem right now currently own a 05 s-crew f-150 and needs a particular brand slider which runs $3000 and thinking of getting another towing truck where the hitch wont be as much
  7. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

You will. My family owns a campground and I see alot of them. It was funny when Gm redesigned there 2500 and 3500s in 03 the axle placement on there 8 footers were closer to the cab then before and I would see at least one everyweekend with a broken rear window.
  8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I have an extended cab 6ft bed f250. and I pull a 30ft fifth wheel. and I dont have a slider. I also have a toolbox in my truck also and the trailer clears it all and I can just about jackknife the trailer and it will clear.
  9. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I work at a campground that also installs hitchs your going to need a slider it dosent matter if the trucks a crew cab or an extended cab the measurement from over the axle to the back window is the same if its a short bed. Tailpipes camper has the set forward pin box however some of the larger units the pin box entends staight down. I have seen many people that tryed to get away with out one but its a real PITA when you need to make a turn and cant because you dont have a slider. We have had to use are truck to put rigs on sites before so there wasent damage and we have also had the people that just tryed it and blew out there back windows and ruined there cab so like the others stated the extra money on the hitch is cheap insurenace.
  10. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Ok so sometimes there are exceptions...it depends on your trailer. But for the most part your probably better off with a slider.