1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FieldTurf artificial turf - Anyone moving snow off this stuff

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereGuy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I'm looking for info on Snow Removal for FieldTurf brand artificial turf. Any of you in this niche. I have an opportunity to bid on some of this seasonal work. Wondering what works and what doesn't as well a the main problems associated with winter upkeep. Equipment selection etc. I spent about 4o hrs on a field this week doing removal on a field that had not been touched this year, but am seeking some insight as to how to gear up and what is allowed on the field or in contact with the turf. I used my truck/plow and a Toolcat with blower.

The worse case senario here is that it's surrounded on two sides and one end with netting. There is no room to bring in dump trucks off field say. All snow must be moved off one end. Once I know an Equipment schedule I can work on price. Thanks in advance
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I saw some pictures in a magazine and how they used a plow truck to plow the artificial turf.They used a piece of pvc pipe and cut a slot down the center and put it over the cutting edge so it won't rip the turf.
  3. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Been there. At 5 deg F it lasted about 15 minutes. Only til I touched a concrete field border. I looked for something more durable but no luck. 2"+ PEX tubing would be just the ticket if I could find it. Could order Polyurathane tubing but didn't have enough lead time. Good for finishing but I really needed to cut though the frozen stuff anyway. We had warm temp but this week has been cold. Urethane edge might be nice. I'm told the Professionals use rubber edges on a blade pushed with a tractor. Haven't seen one to confirm though.
  4. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

I used to work for the city parks dept,we always used either a truck with a rubber blade or a john deere commercial ride on with a power broom and a heated cab.
  5. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Had a big melt the last few days and there was only 1-2" left on top of Ice. Well the experts were there with their 50hp compacts with bucket add-on rubber edged plows. Sure was easy once it was all melted. Anyway, I've never seen blades like they had bolted to their bucket edge. 9' yellow blade only aprox 16" tall with built in wings all cross braced on the back. 10 or 12" rubber on the front. they worked well but would have been useless during the period that I was asked to move snow. I've spent hundreds of hrs on a slightly smaller machine and it must be a chore to move 1 ft of heavy snow all the way down the field with these(there were 2). The nice thing was that they could lift the boom and stack better than a truck and it would be easy to throw a pto powered blower on the back to get rid of piles. I've been looking for those blades but can't find them. For some reason they didn't use box blades.
  6. NorthDakota

NorthDakota Member

The college I work at is currently installing field turf on a practice field...We will have to clean it...The rep is suppose to be on campus next week....I will see what they say.
  7. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

they used to just use a truck and plow im assuming with a poly or rubber edge on it at my highschool.
    when they were done it always left a lot of the black pellets from the feild in the snow.
    then in the spring we would go out and leaf blow the pellets back into the field(used to work there as maintenance)
  8. wannabeplowing

wannabeplowing Senior Member

Don't mean to highjack but where you from in ND? And which university, just curious as I'm a student at NDSU. Sorry for the thread highjack!!!