1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fickle Meyer E47

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tebriel, Jan 3, 2014.

1. tebriel

tebriel Junior Member
    from 53589

I have an E-47 that I just performed a flush and refill on. I sealed up the threads as much as I can but there's still one rotating fitting that looks like it leaks. However, it works initially each time I take the truck out to do our driveway - but eventually the plow starts to have difficultly raising and eventually not lift or angle.

Could the wrong/lacking lube cause something like this? I've been using a spray on lube on the angles and lift.

Otherwise I'm kind of stumped - it works great to begin with each time...

2. bam bam

bam bam Junior Member

Had that problem a few years ago when I bought my plow, which also has a e47 pump. Ended up being water in the fluid, would work for about 15 minutes and then slow till it would quit. Flushed the pump twice and still did it. Flushed it one more time and flushed the rams on the plow and it has been good since. When it quits working pull the filters out and check, mine had a bunch of ice crystals in it when it would quit.

3. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

Yes Bam Bam that's exactly what happened to me, In most cases water gets in through a worn lift pump seal/wiper or worn angle ram packing, mine froze a couple times, deal said remove drain plug and 2 pump filters, drain all fluid, then let thaw in warm room (I put my more water than fluid pump as close as 4 feet away from furnace (mind you empty of fluid and checked not have enough fluid odor to cause an explosion) then dealer said after thaw use small light to see filter/screen in bottom of reservoir and use brake clean with straw to quickly blast clean, and make sure you remove hoses/fittings from angling rams and angle A-frame by hand back and forth to empty angling rams, good luck, I like my E-60 better, but still use 2. E-47's

4. tebriel

tebriel Junior Member
    from 53589

That's what I figured it was at first, I did flush the angle rams as well. I'll pull the filters and see if there is more water in there.

Do I need to have the pump and everything warmed up so the water is fluid when I flush it? It's been brutally cold here nearly all winter.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

I put 1/2 ounce of isoproypl dry gas in mine

6. tebriel

tebriel Junior Member
    from 53589

Perhaps flushing it when it's below freezing didn't do as good of a job as it would have if the garage were heated? Has anyone ever tried hooking a block heater to a pump? :-D

7. bam bam

bam bam Junior Member

I don't think trying to flush a plow outside in freezing temps is going to do a bit of good. Its only 2 bolts and a couple connections to bring the pump inside. Trying to get the rams off the plow if they haven't been off lately will be a bit more work. Personally I don't know how anybody can live without a garage you can heat when you need it.

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

:laughing: There are people on here that can't afford a u joint or some tires and you want them to have a heated garage.

9. bam bam

bam bam Junior Member

I don't have a full time heated garage, I have a old steel shed garage with no insulations but have an old kerosene heater to warm it up when I need it, but at over 4 dollars an hour to run it I don't use it very often. What Im saying is its been -20 last couple days here and needed the heat to weld my plow and get the wifes car started since it decided it was too cold to go to work. Living here I couldn't imagine not having it too work out of. Done it in the driveway before not much fun.

10. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

There is an electric heater available aftermarket that mounts in the fill hole - good addition for any e47 or e60 pump.