1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FF question as a dialectric

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by MOWBIZZ, Oct 30, 2007.

1. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

website says "make sure connections are made" before using FF on them

This mean you can't actually spray inside the connectors (where the corrosion lives)??

A little confusing...

2. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I use FF as an outside protectant but nothing beats a good electrical cleaner (like vinegar, tub and tile cleaner, etc.) and a nice layer of Dielectric grease. I then spray the stuff down when it is connected.

3. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

The definition for Dielectric is an insulating, non-conductive material. Fluid Film is non-conductive. It works great for battery terminals, grounding points, cables, etc.

4. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

OK...got it, but...

Do you recommend that I not use it on items like trailer plugs and connectors that mostly sit idle, at the mercy of the elements and road crap like salt and mud...I thought about just hitting the open connectors with a light spray to protect them from all that crap...

BTW I made a FF run to a JD dealer a couple of towns away to pick up some more...used up my little sample can today and didn't want to be without any for the upcoming season...bought 4 cans and the guy gave me a good discount because I'm in landscaping and plowing...

5. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

When using fluid film in open connections, you want to apply a thin mist, and then wipe it in. You do not want to overapply in this application. A thin coat will offer almost indefinite protection, but the key, because Fluid Film is non-conductive, is to make sure you are not cutting off the electrical current.

6. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Ahhhh...the lightbulb comes on!

OK...now that you've explained it that way I can see the issue...thanks

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm, I've been using FF in electrical connections ever since I had my very first can...works great and never had any issues with it insulating the flow of electricity...love it for the trucks with the seldom used trailer connectors too. Give it a little spray in the connector and it's good to go for a long time.

8. topdj

topdj Senior Member

Im treating an entire new plow, connectors and all, I will report back through the winter on result and its ablity to keep things rust free

9. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I should be picking some up at the local dealer too and will let u know how it works through this season