1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FF problems?

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by OhioPlower, Mar 10, 2013.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I undercoated 2 chevys last november, my dads 2012 1500 and my 2012 3500hd. I checked em today and they looked like I didnt spray them at all. I touched the frame and it took the paint off down to bare metal on BOTH trucks. Whats up with that? I might have had a similar issue in january 2012 but it might have been the salesman spilling urea on the frame.. not sure. I dont think FF is supposed to eat paint like this. Im thinking twice about doing them again in the fall. Anyone have similar issues?

2. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Oh...that's not good at all.

3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Nope, Ill use it on my plows from now on, but not my trucks.

4. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

The ff usually comes off but ive never heard taking paint off, after a while it comes off from areas thats always get hit with water, snow, salt.

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never had that happen on paint.Maybe your 2012 frame is some kind of wax rust preventative and FF doesn't react well with it.

6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Yeah I know it comes off after awhile. I figured there was something on the frame it didnt react well with.

7. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

I did notice there was a mention of this issue on the Fluid Film site
    http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/winter_equipment/

"Fluid Film may soften some vehicle undercoatings. Check with dealer/vehicle manufacturer as to compatibility. "

Not sure if this is the same issue as you described.

8. eurekadg

eurekadg Junior Member

When undercoating any vehicle it is very important that you check with the dealer and vehicle manufacturer in order to determine the compatibility.

9. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

I've sprayed it on all sorts of stuff, never had a problem with it. Then again, I don't own anything Chevy, I like my stuff to work well. :p Just kidding!

Seriously though, I could see it potentially reacting with or weakening a soft undercoating, but not causing actual paint to be removed.

10. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

You are absolutely right. It is not paint. Those 2012's have a soft hot-wax applied undercoat protection. It's supposed to stay in place for a fairly long time if applied properly. I'd guess that as the wet Fluid Film sat on the outer surface of the hot-wax, the moisture was absorbed by the wax, and the wax lifted from the surface.

11. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

Wow, that is rather strange. At least you can rest assured that the Fluid Film will protect the metal.

12. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Anyone else have issues spraying FF on new chevys? I was going to do the underside of my new 2500 but after reading this I'm thinking twice.

13. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I like using FF but have had the same problem on previous trucks with it taking off the wax coating. There is a body shop supply store near my work called WilliamWolf, they carry a similar if not exact soft wax coating that can be sprayed on. It's called Rusfre 1000-6B(black) or C(clear). The clear is more of an amber color. I sprayed my current truck with this first before using FF.

14. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

I heard and seen 3 trucks that happen too.

15. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

I don't really understand what would be accomplished by spraying Fluid Film over an existing wax undercoating. If you have a new vehicle, and it has a new factory wax undercoating on the undercarriage, I'd leave it alone. Maybe use Fluid Film inside the doors, frame rails, wheel wells, and other high rust areas. If the undercarriage on a new vehicle is allready coated, leave it alone until it starts to wear off, or you are not happy with it. You have to understand that almost any coating on top of a metal surface will stop corrosion to a certain degree, as long as it stay's in place. When it wears off, or you are not happy with it, that's when I would try the Fluid Film.

16. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

As others have stated, GM uses a wax dip coating on the frames of their trucks. You can wipe this stuff off before it is cured with your finger, I've seen it and done it. Its not paint.

17. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

I tested a small area on my 2012 and wow it made the wax stuff just wipe off. I'll just spray the body and stay away from the frame.

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

8 1/2 month old thread and nothing from FF......What great customer service and product support...........:rolleyes:

19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You have an excellent point Buff.What ever happened to that Dano guy and his woman sidekick?

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

They’ve probably moved on to another flock to fleece…..