1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FF as a lock oil?

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by Maine_Train, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Anyone used Fluid Film on a lock? I imagine it would make a good corrosion inhibitor for padlocks used outdoors, but I was thinking of trying it on a stubborn mechanism in a doorknob.
    Back in '06, somebody on LawnSite was going to try it on a padlock that had "been rusted shut for years" and post his results, but there was no follow-up that I could find.

If I can get the applicator tube into the spray nozzle without spraying FF all over the landscape, and it won't gum up the inside of the lock, I've got a bunch of locks I'd like to use it on.

Thanks.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go for it.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I use FF on everything, including locks.

4. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Okay, I'll try it.

I half expect somebody to chime in here and say "FF is okay with lox, but use cream cheese on your bagels." :D

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I've used it on locks it works well to free them up but doesn't seem to last too long in there. IMO graphite is a better choice for locks.

6. grandview

Someone is going to get a disclaimer from Dano!

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

He's said it before, I'm sure he'll say it again. Fluid Film is not to be used as a food additive.

8. grandview

But you can put the can on the table and read the contents while eating your lox and bagels!

9. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

At least I had somebody covering my butt while I was on the road! :D

Fluid Film does work well in locks, and in winter it will keep them from freezing. Good application.