1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

few questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stillen, Aug 4, 2008.

1. stillen

stillen Senior Member

figured id throw these out there, my search turned up vague answers..

pushing is 2wd, and only clicking in 4wd when tires spin.... My thought is if i am in 4wd to start i wont be spinning where 2wd starts to slip.

Is there more strees on truck pushing in 2wd, compared to 4wd.

How much does my MPG drop when pushing

do i really need all these strobes, or will a $40 fisher magnectic light work?.

should i plow in OD, or tow/haul mode? 2nd gear?...

what is a safe speed to plow at.

I'll be doing mostly residential driveways................. Mostly double passes, no longer 60 feet in length,

Thanks guys
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

check this thread on transmissions
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Basher is right on the money. I will add 1 thought tho. If you plow in 2 wheel drive and wait till the tires spin before you go to 4 wheel drive it may be too late and now you are stuck.
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

85% of the time we plow in 4x4...

when i start to feel the front tires grabbing and jerking the truck slightly, after the pavment gets clean , then i switch into 2wd, at that point to leave it in 4wd does put stress on the ujoints and other parts

i would rather transport in 2wd, but when its snowing we leave them in 4wd

if its a truck that is only snow, and sits between storms, park it in 4 wheel , so its ready to go next time

plow using Drive, ur transmission knows what gear is best, OD off - tow,haul -ON keeps a better power band

adn i would avoid using the auto 4wd... i couldnt say for sure, but i would think it would consently be shifting beween 4 and 2-- its not the easiest thing on the transfercase..pick one or the other and run with it, till conditions require a change

for more chevy info ask B&B :waving: