1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Few questions- Tinted windows, lifted truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Oct 23, 2005.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Are tinted windows bad news on a plowtruck? I'm assuming so, since its harder to see out of my 94 2500 at night and I have 13% on it.. actually seeing through the window isn't so bad but its seeing in the mirrors that sucks. Is it worse in the wintertime storm conditions than what I experience in the summer? Haven't had tinted windows in wintertime before but I want to tint my plowtruck but not if its a major PITA for plowing.

Also she sits on 37x12.50 Swampers right now and currently has 3" body lift, going to lift at least another 4". These are kinda narrow as far as swampers go, I think they should do OK in snow. I've seen what oversize tires can do for a non-plow truck in snow and I know with a plowtruck you need traction in less than 1" snow as your plow clears the snow in front of ya, not like without a plow tryin to float over the snow. Still I know theres guys that plow with lifted trucks, any major drawbacks? I know the clearance will be nice :) I might go down to smaller tires or stock size for winter I haven't decided yet but i think i'll try to plow with the 37's and see what it does.

Thanks for any help. I'm leaning toward no tint (or at least minimal) and leave the swampers on and try 'em once see what they do but I'm thinkin it'll be OK.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 04 Ram quad cab. Back windows are tinted 5% (limo tints) fronts are 20%. I couldn't see a thing out my windows at night. Had to roll my windows down when ever I backed up. I threw some backup lights on Now I can see everything. Its like a bright sunny day!! I can even see perfectly out my mirrors. That solved my window tint issue. :)
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have a 94 Ford it has a 3" body lift and it has 31x10.50-15's they are a little wider but I haven't had any problems with getting stuck in 3 years. I seem to have to use 4wd a little more than someone with stock tires when plowing an inch or so. As far as tint I think your asking for trouble, its tough enough to see at times when in whiteout conditions let alone trying to see through tint on top of that. Mirrors to me would be especially tough, they are usually tinted from the factory somewhat anyways. So backing up to me would be a little more difficult.
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Personally, I prefer to plow with my driver's window down anyways.

You will definately need some powerful reverse lights to see properly... I used a set of clear 55w halogen driving lights... they work well but more is better as far as I'm concerned. The tint makes it easier on your eyes during the daytime, less glare. I don't know how deep the tint is, but it is DARK.

As for the lift, it has its pro's and con's. Your visibility will change, not necessarily worsen but definately change. The extra height gives you a higher vantage point, but makes visibility for up-close objects harder to judge as they duck behind your truck's body sooner. Every bit counts, if you can believe it, I can lose an entire car behind my vent window and oversized mirrors (when pulling into traffic for example), so one needs to be overly careful, especially with the lifted truck. Thankfully, it's never been a problem for me. My truck is lifted approximately 6".

While I have no experience with them, I'd say the swampers will be ok in deep snow, but really suck on hardpack and ice. No siping to grip with.
  5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you realy like the tint and want to keep it then take it off in the winter and have redone with new in the spring. It is just flat glass and should not cost much to have done. If you want to do it yourself A roll of perfesonal tint is less then $200 and will do atleast 10 rides. That translates into less then 3 yours work. if
  6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I would ditch the swampers for plowing. IIRC they aren't siped very well and have large tread voids. I run Mickey Thompson Baja MTX, basically an agressive All Terrain, they have three siped rows in each tread block and they have worked really well in the snow. I am runnin them in the 35x12.5 variety. Stay away from the mud tires to as they won't work as well.
  7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks for the responses guys. So we're thinking as such:

Tinted windows- personal thing, can be compensated with overkill lighting. Cool I wanted to put on lotsa lights anyways haha... may not tint yet but still thinkin on it.

Tires- kinda iffy and probably should go with something narrower and a little smaller diameter with smaller tread blocks and more siping.

8. danno

danno Senior Member

Also, If the truck has a lifted "suspension", it changes the "attack angle" of the plow. Not the best.
    If it has a "body lift" the suspension stays the same. But like Derek said, you`ll lose some "close" visibility around the truck.

I have the "body lift" of 3" and had to put longer markers on the plow.
  9. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Yeah I have Performance Accessories 3" body lift same as you. I am planning to get 4-6" suspension lift. I know it will change the plow angle, I like to build/weld/fabricate so I have no problem making the necessary modifications :nod:

Here's what it looks like so far. I don't have the truck mount on yet I just pulled up in front of the plow. It has 4x4's under the skid shoes thats why its off the ground a little. Not sure if the A-frame hitch points were near the actual hook level or not but as you can see with my 6" extra height (3" body plus 3" extra rubber between the rims and the ground) I already can pretty much not see the markers.
    MINOR DETAILS ahahaha......

10. derekbroerse

What happened to your Green Machine anyways?
  11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Ah- Olly... well... this past spring/summer she went up to 36's then got straight piped 5" chrome stacks, then got 38.5" Ground Hawgs and a few other mods... just more of a beater trail rig than anything, had several things it needed done just not a very driveable and practical truck and I didn't have time to go wheel it and don't have a trailer to pull it on to go playin with my friends so it really didn't go anywhere had some issues it developed and things. I got this truck and its alot nicer and much more driveable with no issues really... decided i'd rather be spending my time in this truck during a storm and no time/money/space for a trail rig so I sold Olly just yesterday actually... if I didn't get her sold I've have kept her for a backup plow truck, she could be driven and was reliable but had a front end problem couldn't drive over 25 or 30 mph. the exhaust was too loud (planned on dropping glasspacks into the stacks for plowing would have been acceptable if sealed off)... I came out even on the trucks plus I get the body and frame back from that one, and this one is alot nicer so thats what i'm running right now :)

This truck I fixed up some and more to go:
    new body lift
    new tachometer
    new exhaust
    new radiator
    almost new tires/used wheels
    new audio system

Plan on:
    plow (duh)
    much larger alternator and probably dual batteries
    full tuneup, fluid changes, adjust everything out properly, etc.
    more lift
    lots of extra lights- flashers, flood lights, backup lights, etc.
    CB radio to communicate with my plower friend(s) during storms
    a friend is going to help me build some nice consoles in his woodshop, overhead console for CB, center floor hump console for clutter reduction, middle of seat console for: armrest, cupholder, will have a cutout to insert the joystick controller into as if it were built into the console, a cubby hole for cell phone, will house the auxillary lighting switches, will also house a power inverter and may add a CD changer in there too not sure exactly yet on that one (not high priority). Going to fabricate a mount to hold my laptop.
    Might build a back plow for it as I have an extra 6.5' SnoWay Lexan moldboard laying around (you can see part of it next to that 7.5 in those pics)
    Trying to trade a friend out of a 16 ton military winch :D It is PTO drive so I would have to figure something for that but no biggie :nod:
    It should be pretty nice when I'm done with it!
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  12. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I"m thinking of taking the rear tint off to much of a pain to see and too cold to open the rea window.
    So I'm going to remove the center tint in the rear.

13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you dont have to go that dark with the tint. there are different % of tint offered.
    for the lifted part, you could get a smaller set of winter wheels and tires. then you could just swap them for the winter.
  14. derekbroerse

My truck has minimal visibility thru the rear window anyways... I had to learn to use my mirrors for primary rear viewing. If I was in your shoes, I'd sooner do that then pull my tinting.
  15. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

My fronts are tinted at 22% and the rear is factory. I really don't have too much of a problem seeing out them. Most of my lots are well lit which does help.
  16. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. So with some good lighting I would be fine with tint? I did not know if it was worse with ice on windows or in snowy/icey conditions.

I too, like to plow windows down if at all possible (really nice in daytime) but at night with snow flyin all directions its not comfortable when its 20 degrees colder than in daytime burr!!!!

Oh forgot to mention I also am putting in a 70 gallon fuel tank! Should extend the run time considerably :nod: Its going in the bed like a fuel cell.
  17. derekbroerse

70 Gallons in the bed?

Is this a "transfer tank"? I'm assuming so. Best check with your area's laws on that, I'm pretty sure WE can't carry that much gasoline on board. All our transfer tanks say 'diesel fuel only' right on them. That may only be Ontario law, but the last thing you'd want is to get your plates yanked and be classified as a ticking time bomb...

My friend's truck has been checked (it carries dyed farm diesel), probably because the truck is (obviously) gasoline powered so they wanted to see if the transfer tank was being used in the truck...

Just something to think about.
  18. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Transfer tanks are legal in much larger capacities than 70 gal. I 'plan' on making it piped right into the truck, bypassing the original tiny tank. I don't see this any differently than using a transfer tank in the bed ( I know its not plumbed into the engine but whats the difference? ) say you have a 60 gal transfer tank in the bed and a 30 gallon truck tank, your truck catches fire its all going to blow up anyway regardless of whether its piped to the engine or not. Sure it might wait a little longer to catch but I don't see it makes much difference. I will check laws and see but if its a problem then I will just make it a transfer type tank and when the truck needs more, whip out the hose and fill 'er up from the transfer tank. Doubt i'd ever get pulled over here with a tank in the bed but who knows. Time I get done with the truck the cops won't even be able to see anything in the bed from inside their cars haha...
  19. Averysdad

Averysdad Member

you can sipe those super swampers yourself if you want to try and get some better traction.........lots of rockcrawler guys do it for better traction on rocks.

you can use a regular sharp knife but they also make a heated blade to make the cuts easier.

20. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Averysday, thanks for the link I saw that page before somewhere a long time ago. Does the siping really make that big of a difference? Does it affect the tire wear on-road? thanks,