1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Few questions rolled into one post

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by scitown, Aug 15, 2008.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

1. (a.) I have a MX7000 (older model) it has the metal speaker box in the center. Can I add the center light in the place of the speaker cover? What will I need? Wires, bulbs, rotators lenses ect. Is this going to be a pain because its the older model?
    (b) I've seen filters on ebay for the intersection lights. Will it fit the older mx 7000? Am I going to lose my white alley lights because of the filters? (Hard to see on ebay and its the only place I have seen them.

2 My truck is white and I only have the lightbar for visibility. This would be fine but a few of my properties I am backing out into somewhat busy roads. People seem to look to see where the pretty amber lights are coming from and dont see the rear end of my truck in front of them. I have seen a few few trucks with lights (strobes?) mounted right down the side of the truck bed (three per side) any idea what these are or even what could be used? I was thinking of hideaways but I have a 2000 chevy p/u with red lenses in the rear, Illegal in MA to strobe them (not that its enforced but dont want to take the chance).
    I have seen some of the reverse or off road lights converted into strobes and I was thinking this could be an option mounted with a magnet thru the rear tie down holes. If they stick out in anyway they have to be removable because it is a backup landscape rig and they will get knocked off in the first five minutes by one of my workers. Any and all ideas welcome for rear vis. Keep in mind I know nothing about hideaways or strobes or anything else to do with lights.

Blueline I look forward to your response, I am just south of Boston. Possible that you did the truck with the lights down the side of the bed.

Happy summer, fall is right around the corner!

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I can answer a few of your questions. Yes you can convert the speaker housing over to a rotator/dome deal. The motor wires go straight to the wire junction under the left side dome.

You can purchase a kit that includes a rotator, lense and monting box for the bar to put in the place of the speaker housing. I recommend getting a High Speed Rotator for the Center.

The Filters for the intersection lights will NOT interfere with the Alley Lights. 2 different monsters. Try to get the filters that go over the bulb assemby themselves you'll get more attention and it won't over Amber the bar when it's not in operation.

Since your going to be drawing some decent AMPS from the bar... Put some LED's or a small rotator on the back end.

Hope this kinda helps you out abit.

3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

It does help thank you. The only option I thought I had with the intersection lights looked like an internal end cap for the bottom. I will have to look into seperate lense covers. This bar draws rediculous AMPS. I have it turned around backwards to use the takedowns as backup lights. You can hear both batteries scream in pain everytime I hit the fishstick. On the drives where I would be using the rear end lights I dont really need the whole bar kicking too. The amp draw is already killing me I dont need my wallet to kill me too with LED's (more $ right?) Yes thanks for the help, I can do a little more searching now that I know I have a few different options for the intersections. PS Where should I look for the center dome replacement? I've seen the parts seperate but that seems very pricey.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Ok...Try this one out. Use the wires for where the speakers would run (the hook ups etc...) put the new rotator on that circuit and add a switch. That way you can just shut the bar off and just have the solo center rotating. You can also get a small little rotator and hook it to your trailer lighting. Little cheapo LED for about $40 bucks would work and that way you don't blow a circuit. Hook it into the running light plug on your hookup.

you can mount that little thing on your bumper. Hey I've got one El-Cheapo's if you want it. Hardly used...Washes out in sunlight but night it's pretty bright. Let me know. Right now it's got a cigarette lighter plug on it.
    Mag and Perm Mount.
    $25 + Shipping

Some Chineeze POS but it's flash pattern is impressive.

5. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

If you have the red over amber over clear taillights which I think are the ones they used on the 2000 Chevys, I would just throw either a 2 or 4 bulb hideaway kit in the ambers and the reverse lights. That would cover your rear and sides.

6. scitown

scitown Senior Member

2000 old body style. This is what they look like but without the cage. http://www.truckaddons.com/images02/polar_bear/tailight/silverado_99-00taillight.jpg

Will strobes or any lights in the reverse lights give me side coverage? Thats really what I need. I think maybe Ill have those put in anyway but still need the side coverage.

7. BlueLine Ent

If I recall from the last time I did that taillight style, its a really tight fit in the reverse light and it gets too hot, so I was using the red portion instead. The red definetly gives nice side coverage, but I understand not wanting to use them to be on the safe side. Sounds like a better solution might be some small LEDs on the sides of the body on the back corners somewhere.

8. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Exactly. Now, who makes good flush mount LED's or anything flush mount and what are we talking for price? I talked with someone at Madigan trucks and he was saying the "cheapest" option would be to run beacons or rotators on the rear and black tape out the fronts so I dont have flash back to the truck cab. Ugly but it would work. Im not really looking for "cheapest". Inexpensive works but Im more worried about getting sideswiped than the money of it. Does anyone make a cube with flashers in them maybe one rear and one side flasher per cube? Two of those would be great but I think I just dremt them up.

9. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

IF you should get a rotator don't tape off the lense... Take the lense off and use some black paint to the inside of the lense. Just paint 1/4 of it. The inner front 1/4. Whelen, Federal, Code 3, are your majors that do flush mounts or semi flush mounts.

10. scitown

scitown Senior Member

More popular item than I thought. Any opinion on make or dealer?

11. BlueLine Ent

Whelen, Federal Signal, Code 3....

12. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Thanks guys. I will not have internet at home until friday , then the flush mount research can begin. Thanks for all the help.

13. scitown

scitown Senior Member

So I found sone amber lense covers for my mx 7000 intersection lights on ebay. I also found a center lense and a high speed rotator to replace the speaker. Funny thing is they were connected to the light bar I bought. Im going to switch out the speaker and a few things here and there and resell the light bar if anyone is interested it has the tow truck setup with brake lights and directionals on it. Still can't figure out how to cover the back of the truck. All the options give me a headache.