1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Few questions on SnowEx 1875

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Terry R, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Terry R

Terry R Junior Member

Looking at buying two of these. I've been told they will dump regular bagged salt from job to job while the spreader is off. How true is this? I've read on here about a gaurd over the spinner end of the auger, does this help? I know they have a nice screen on the top to keep clumps out, but how does the auger handle any clumps? Do they just sit on top of the spinning auger, get broken up, or jam the auger? And lastly, how does this spreader compare to the Western Pro Flow II? Thanks in advance.
  2. broncscott

broncscott Member

I have run an 1875 for the past 2 years. I try to use all the salt in the hopper on each job before traveling to the next. In the few times I left salt in the hopper I did not drop any on the spinner. I bought the 1875 used and the previous owner added a plastic flap to the metal cover over the auger. I run bagged salt that sometimes has clumps and have had no jambs. Make sure to grease the bearing on the and of the auger. Scott
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. Terry R

Terry R Junior Member

Thanks. Anyone else?
  4. broncscott

broncscott Member

It pays to order Snowex # D6355 switch kits. If you have any control issues the power switch is bad most times.
  5. Rob From APE

Rob From APE Junior Member

The SP1875 will not dump salt out like the SP1075 does. The 1875 has a horizontal auger which will feed the material over to the spinner....auger speed and spinner speed are controled seperately. Best thing to do at the end of a job is to turn the auger feed off before turning the spinner off. They do have a guard over the left side of the auger so it will only pull material from the right side....therefore preventing material to continue seeping thru the auger to the spinner. The unit does have a vibrator on it and that will help to make sure that the material continues to slide over to the right side and make its way to the auger.
    I think were the concerns about the salt leaking thru were earlier models before the guard was on or people mixing it up the the SP1075 that only has a vertical auger that marial can flow thru with bouncing down the road.

We sell a lot of these units and our customers are very happy with the performance and reliability.
  6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If used as intended they won't dump product between sites. Alot of guys remove the baffles to expose more of the product to the auger and this allows the drier products to free flow. I found they didn't handle sand as well as was advertised and removed the V baffle, cut the augle baffle in half and added a stainless hinge. Full baffle for salt, half baffle for sand, just reach in and fold it in half. Simple solution to my problem with it. HTH