1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Few questions maybe you can help me with!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Evan528, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I relize i will not see any snow in my are till december but I am trying to get a handle on my expenses so id greatly apreciate any help! I own a 2000 f-250 extended cab without a snow plow prep package. (I did not plan on using this truck for plowing when i bought it) Is it safe to install a plow on this truck? all super duties have a transmission cooler standard on them but my concern is with the front axle rating. Most guys I know have plow trucks without "snow plow prep" packages and do just fine.... I guess im just a bit paranoid about this truck. One of the local plow dealers said he would not even install a plow on my truck because of its lack of the snow plow prep package. Im sure I can find somone willing to. I want to know whether I should budget now for a 3,000 plow to put on this truck or whether I should budget for a 10,000 used plow truck. Also I am considering the purchase of a toro dingo for landscape instalations and wandering how they preform with a plow. Any body ever do snow removal with a dingo? Id like to kill 2 birds with one stone if im going to spend 15 grand for this machine. I did a search on both of these issues but didnt find anything conclusive. Thanks for your help!
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I think we need a little more information on your truck. Is your truck gas or diesel, extended cab, regular cab or crew cab, short-bed or long-bed? Also, what kind of plow are you considering? There are a lot of variables (see my post called "Snow plow prep package") when plowing with a truck. I have a 1/2-ton ext. cab that I plow with, but I have a light-weight SnoWay plow. Give us a little more info and I'm sure we can help you out.

3. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

We never, until the last two trucks, in 20 years worried about a plow prep package. We also never had any problems directly related to the plows, besides having to add a leaf to the front ends in the old days, or crank the torsion bars more recently. Dealers honoured warrantees. Have no fear about the plow prep package - the truck stands more at risk of harm from the fellow behind the wheel that the physical work and weight of a plow. The Ford guys here will tell you straight up where you will stand with Ford warrantee - my experience is it has more to do with your relationship with your dealer than on Ford policy.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

My truck is an extended cab, 5.4 liter gasser. My number one choice of a plow would probly be a snow way because ill be doing alot of backdraging in my little drives.... I think the down pressure will help!
    Tim- are you satisfied with your snow way so far?
  5. SlimJim Z71

OH YEAH! I've had a few problems with it... but they were installation related. The place that did the install left some of the bolts loose on the truck portion of my plow mount, and something is messed up with the headlight wiring harness. As far as the performance of the plow... flawless. I plow with a guy who has a 3/4-ton Chevy w/Western 7.5' Pro Plow, and he's seen a lot more damage and repairs on his than I have on mine. I feel that a SnoWay with a polyurethane edge on it would be an ideal set-up.

P.S. NICE TRUCK!!!
  6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Slim.... "Pay It Forward"? I thought it was going to be a dumb movie, but it turned out to be really good!

7. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Evan's F-250 extended cab

Evan, if you have a F-250 extended cab and is the superduty and not the LD=Light Duty, you will have no problem with putting a plow on that vehicle. At least from Sno-Way that is. Many dealers who do not see the application in their guide will not install a plow on this vehicle simply because it is an extended cab. We go by front axle ratings and we do not see a problem with this. If it were a light duty F-250 you would need a 3,950 front axle on the extended cab to carry a plow. Our entire sales fleet runs GMC 2500 4X4 and have had no problem with them, we also went to the HD model for this year and still no problems plowing with either of these trucks, personally I feel the F-250 is built heavier than the GMC so I don't think you would experience any problems at all.
  8. SlimJim Z71

Chuck... I thought so too. I think it's one of those movies that everyone should see. Maybe people would actually start being nicer to eachother.