1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Few questions about 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MickiRig1, Oct 27, 2012.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I am looking at an 06 -Red 2500HD with the 6.0 Auto - Manual case. It has 121,000 on it.They are asking $11,000. Good price from what I can find. Is the 6.0 the old 350 engine? Transmissions hold up on these trucks? It has the normal wear and tear. No old plow mount evidence. It drives nice, stops good,no noises, no smoke.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I was told the 6.0 is a 364ci motor.

I have a 04 2500 HD (Red) 6.o auto and have worked it hard 2 seasons now with zero problems as far as motor or trans. I upgraded the front end a bit and added 2 extra leafs in the back to support the v-box I use. Rides great only thing I wish it had the larger gas tank because it likes to drink a lot when plowing. 25 gal
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The 6.0 is a great engine. It's an LS engine, very different and better than the 350. The 350 is 5.7 liter
  4. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

i own a 04 gmc 2500hd with 6.0 in it. the only complaint i have is that the gas tank is to small for me as well. 10 miles to the gallon, 25 gallons doesnt last very long. truck has 238000 miles on it and still runs very strong never any problems with tranny either.
  5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have 3 6.0l gas chevs trucks. Very happy with them. 3 different sized fuel tanks but oh well.
  6. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

Actually the 6.0 out of a truck is called a LQ4, not an LS motor. Not really all that important but thought I would point it out.

But as other people have said, it's a good strong motor but will drink the gas pretty good. The only well known problem for them are rear main seal leaks and broken exhaust manafold bolts.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's still LS based, which is what the Dog Napper was using to identify the engine generation. Doesn't matter if it's an LQ4, LQ9, LY2, LMG, LR4 etc, they're all LS engines as they're all based from the LS engine family.

Basically as when classifying Gen1 small block as such by using the tern "Gen1" or "small block", doesn't matter if it's a 265, 283, 305, 350 etc. They're still all based on the same generation thus are grouped as such for identification purposes.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I guess I will go take a closer look at it. A friend that plows keeps telling to just go buy it! I take it not real hard to find truck side mounts for it? I can find 10 blades for it.