1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

few ideas to free up space/speed/flow of the site

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by sweetk30, Jan 16, 2011.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

as a avid forum member here and other sites over the last 8 years i have seen some good and bad setups.

i know we have some speed problems here at peak flow times of the day and season. i know you guys are working on it the best you say you can .

my few points i see that could realy eliminate some flow/speed/space problems is

the fact people cant read/see or dont give a darn about posting rules per section. like equipment pics ONLY section . lots of threads started for non pic posting stuff.

if we could make the sticky post for the rules BIG AND BOLD LIKE THIS then mabye more people would see and read them. also mabye a min post count # before you are alowed to post up in specific areas to eliminate new people from wrong posting.

next is the fact lots of people ask specific brand questions OUTSIDE the brand specific sections. when if thay just looked or posted in there brand specific section 90% of the time there question would be answered perfectly already or much faster.

then there is some people that ask a question like what lift/level kit or size plow should i run on my brand x truck. well thats fine. but dont post this question and then read the replys THEN START a second OR third thread on now were to buy this specific item .

its a waste of site time/speed/flow/efficiency to help the site grow and become a better place for all to see.

now i do like the fact that some site speed problems are avoided via no multiple pic posting all over. thats a good thing. and it help when it shows the thread the pic was posted in so you can click it for a link post to still be in the thread your typing out.

i know all of us read and see these problems on a daily basses . if you see a real rule breaking problem click the triangle in the top right of the thread. its not going to show on the poster who turned them in for wrong stuff. but it will help the mods find all the stuff that needs to be corrected on this VARY BUSSY site that thay cant read/find all the stuff on.

we as free user's need to HELP OUT as our form of payment for the use of this site. if we dont change soon here and help out more and read / use the rules this place will prob be a pay use site to help filter out the crap a bit.

i am not trying to start a war here but somthing has to start to get done as i have seen this kind of stuff trash/rip apart a site before to the point of a vary stiff goverened site with little freedom for posting fun.

lets all do our part and help keep this place a good site that is just a little more efficient . :salute:
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. sweetk30

bump to the top :salute:

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i feel as tho the problem lies mostly on the amout of users viewing the site, at any giving time their are 2500+ non members viewing the forum, right now there are, Currently Active Users: 3256 (754 members and 2502 guests) thats a ton of lurkers soaking up the bandwith and destroying it for us users, I feel we should make this a private forum only viewable by members who are signed in, and i also believe if you are signed in for extended periouds of time while being inactive it should sign you out. this would free up LOADS of bandwith and speed this place up 10 fold.
  4. sweetk30

yep most forums i am on with are bare bones free veiwing. then sign up/or pay up its open. then yes the auto sign out after 15 min is a good thing. it realy does help with the band width.

and i have not seen any replys from the site master or mods on my few simple ideas.

also there is a ton of wasted space/info in the few general repair sections on fix my meyers/fisher/western/chevy/ford when there is specific sections for this and its already been covers at least 12 times. these sections just eat up the space/speed if you ask me.

i figure we keep this at the top mabye others will chime in with there good ideas or offer some help.

mabye we need a few more mods to help shuffle around the miss posted stuff to the right places. and help teach them the rules.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I dont think its the amount of content on the forum thats slowing it down, because it runs fine on non peak hours, Its def the sheer volumn of people viewing the forum at any giving time. I am 100% certain it has to do with the staggering number of lurkers on here.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

bingo....is plowsite doing anything about this???
  7. sweetk30

8. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

yes, we are looking into the server (running tests, etc.) and also appreciate the suggestions some have made

9. sweetk30

:salute: thank you for your reply here sir :salute: