1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Few days/hours left to submitt bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Comet, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Comet

Comet Senior Member

I met with this board 4 days ago 7/28 along with my cousin
    They want the bid in within a week for the maintenance and also the plowing.
    The other fellow hardly ever showed up plowing,,there disgusted and want immediate plowing around the clock
    They requested a 2 inch trigger,, 40 driveways, roadway, 1 mile of sidewalks, mailbox areas etc, steps

Only salt/sand on roadway each plow,Ill talk them into deicng walkways possibly,they want a seasonal contract
    I have but a few days for real to finalize this,,Im pretty much eXhausted and burnt out plus the fact I had a VIRUS and one of the files that was deleted when the Virus was removed was my snowplowing contract
    Luckily I had one pprinted out

Im still uncertain as to really do this, I have several example contracts I been editing from,, each time I seem to want to add another paragraph,, most important is the pricing,,, Ill have 2 trucks with 8' plows and a sidewalk crew of 4 with 2 snowblowers

I figure 1 shovler per truck to work on the garage door areas and walkways,,,the other 2 shoveling the mile long sidewalks within and out of the complex

My intentions were to charge closely the same rate as that fellow from Ohio charges that gave a speach inDenver
    $49 perman hr
    $28 per bag potasium
    the drive ways we think we can get $50 apiece even though there side by side

The main roadway we figured 1000, the salting at 750
    is this out of the ball park?
    Boils down to a 4" snowstorm to be 5318.00

How do I congigure this now for a seasonal coverage?
    I need help with this bid please, Im pretty burnt out
    I seem to keep refering to per push's and forget its an umbrella

The hardest part ithink is the configuring the sidewalk crew,,, Should there be atleast a minimum of hours for them in a clause?.. I use to shovel but never knew the other side

I use to plow for others and many times wasnt even paid

I have 4000sqft of bin areas on my property
    another 4000 - 6000 of whatever

I guess Im wishing for someonr to say: hey Thom !! charge them this amount liike this and do it like that

thanks
    Im clean now OK

poof

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I wish it were that easy. I'm sure we'll all agree that to give you an answer like that, we'd need to see the area in question to form our own judgements.

To make the seasonal guess, you need to figure out how many storms you will probably go out plowing in during the winter. In my area, Northern IL, I think we had about 10 storms last year, which is about average. If your calculation of $5,318 is for an average storm, and you have 10-storms a year, that would be $53,180 a season. Let's say your snow season runs from November to the end of April, that's 6-months. Then you'd take $53,180 and divide it by 6-months, which is $8,863.33 a month for snow removal.

Yes, I would factor in a minimum charge for the sidewalk crew. This will be beneificial to you, as well as keep your price from fluctuating too much causing the customer to question why one bill is very low, while the next could be twice as much. You need to provide a cushion for yourself.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe someone else can provide a little insight on this as well. Or better yet... if one of us is close to you, ask them to come over and take a look with you to help you get a better idea.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

-Tim

3. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Thanks Tim, was helpful

I went out last year 9 times
    the year before was 7
    year before that 3 LOL
    So I imagine 6 would be the average to use

Insight information just received from owner to my couzin to me is the present contractor was doing this seasonal snowplowing blanket last year for 5,000.00

Im not intrested if thats what Im up against.
    Ill submitt this and if they want to laugh at it, they can
    Theres way too much responsibility, and then some

comments still appreciated

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Since your "Trips out to plow" has gone UP each year, I think I'd be more inclined to use 7 or 8 as an average... but if you don't go anywhere near that, then maybe consider offering a rebate.

Don't be intimidated by the other guys low price. You stated that they were a little sick of him, so even if you hit them high, and explain that you will by far offer a better service, they probably won't laugh at you. You get what you pay for. There are a lot of lowballers out there. By pointing out key things like: You carry full insurance, you have a decent crew to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time, etc. will help make that $6,204.33 per month payment (based on 7-outings) seem pretty good.

Again... good luck, and keep your ground. You're better than the last guy.

Tim

Last edited: Aug 3, 2001
  5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

:cool:

I couldn't have said it any better than Tim. I would opt for the higher average. Base your bid on 9 trips, add a fudge factor to CYA , and consider offering a credit towards next year (not a rebate) if you go out less than the average.

Another thought... Bid on the one season but consider offering them a 3 year contract with no price increase over the three year contract period. The customer will appreciate the cost savings over the contract period.

Sell the client on your professionalism. And remember NEVER, NEVER, NEVER make a statement or committment that you can't back up.

Cover your A ** and you should be alright!

GOOD LUCK

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 3, 2001
  6. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Thanks Tim and Jeff
    Imformative information

Im all for the 9 occurances along with that 3 year non increase and credit

Im still concerned if my numbers are too high,, This is not the Taus Mahaul but then again not a vacant lot nor the Bates Motel

I had specs in an earlier post

I can visualize blowing this out 1 2 3 in a sence ,, but I dont operate that way, and naaa!! thatll leave a mess,, theres a lot here to contend with, many hours I can see here
    Even the snow pileing is next to null,, might have to haul to my property<extra>

Thanks again ,, more comments welcome

thom

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

:confused:

Do you know or can you ask what they paid in the past?

This will give you an idea where your number sits in comparison to what they were previously charged.

You might be surprised and find out that your numbers are LOWER than what they might have paid in the past.

Good Luck!

Jeff

8. Comet

Comet Senior Member

President of the Administration Board there had indicated to someone in my family they had been paying last year $ 5,000.00 to the last contractor.

Its not certain for sure!! if that was per month / per storm,, but!! I wouldnt put it past them! if that was for the entire season, :eek:
    if thats the case, they could just have fun laughing at my bid if they want :)

I dropped off to my cousin the draft bid this afternoon to go over.

I guess I finally feel pretty content know with what I came up with after doing the math looking at wages, cost, expenses, insurance, responsiblity etc,,and thanks to everyones feedback.
    Ill work off this to do other bids if they come up if there similar or downsize them accordingly

Some and many will say Im way too high, but to each their own,

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

No, the potential clients will decide if you're too high. It's nice to get jobs with the top dollar built into them, but that's not usually how it works.

Unless there is more than is apparent from your description, this is NOT a really big project. I don't see where all the "responsibility" that you keep commenting on is. If you fatten the numbers too much, somebody else will come in with the right numbers to do the work properly.

It's a tightrope act to get as much as you can without trying for too much and losing the job. If you got way high on this one and use the same system to prorate other jobs you may be using numbers that are too high across the board. Good luck.

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

IMO

The job is a cake walk.

2 skid steers, for the driveways( The skidsteer opperators also shovel the walkways, and what they can't get)
    One Guy to salt the walks.
    One Truck with a 10' blade and 7 yards of salt, to salt or sand the road and all the drives.

Total trucks needed: 2
    One: Regular cab pick up to bring the salt, for the walkways, the 2 skid steer guys, and the one guy to salt the walkways.

One: F 650 with a 10' blade and 7 yard salter. This truck salts the drive ways and plows and salts the one mile of road.

Total Guys required: 4

The F 650 should be on the job no longer then 1 hours with a good driver.

The skid steer guys call for the big truck when they are almost done with all the driveways. Then one skid steer goes to the other end of the road. As the big truck plows the road and put windrows at the end of the drivers. The skid steers work down the road clearing the windrows, as the big truck salts.

I charge around 1000 dollars a lane mile for straigh road service. However when ya include driveways and other services the cost goes down. I have one road I plow where the residences have me do the road, and some do there own drives, or higher a different contractor. That account pays 1K a mile. My other road has me do all the winter stuff for the road. They pay around 900 a mile.

Geoff

Last edited: Aug 4, 2001
  11. Comet

Comet Senior Member

thank you all

Last edited: Aug 5, 2001