1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Feniex cannon install help

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by indplstim, Dec 3, 2013.

1. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

My led hideaway lights will be here tomorrow and I'm just looking for some general wiring help and switch setup. I got four of the amber/clear lights and plan to put them in the reverse lights on back and an apparently unused clear lens up front. I plan to replace the factory backup lights with the leds and tap into the wiring there. The cannons have 2 modes that will allow power from the b/u light to steady burn the white leds when in reverse. I know one mode(2 i think) will always override the other. I'd like the flash/warning mode to override the b/u light function. I want to sync all 4 lights on two seperate switches and have a momentary switch shared to change flash patterns if possible. This all has my head spinning a bit but maybe with a little help from P.S. I can wrap my head around it. Install will be on a 2002 F250sd. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

feniex

Just installed four of these myself, to two different switches. I didn't add the pattern switch but might later. I'm not sure what you want to know but follow the instructions.

1. use strobe cable if you have it. It makes running the wires easier.
    2. connect the red wires and yellow wires together.
    3. Tie one of them into the your reverse lights. Run the other to the cab.
    3. tie the ground wires together and ground them to the chassis. ( I didn't sync my front lights and my rear lights so I don't know if all grounds need to be attached to each other, as their directions state, since they all will be grounded to the same chassis)
    4. tie the pattern wires together (after you select the pattern for each light on each mode) and run that to the cab.
    5. repeat the steps for the front.

At this point you should have five wires in the cab. A turn on lead for the rear lights (mode 1), two turn on leads for the front lights (mode 1 and 2). The pattern wire for the rears and a pattern wire for the fronts. The strobe cable has three wires each so you won't use the sixth wire. If need be you can use this to run your ground from the rear lights, to the front.

6. run a wire from the chassis to a switch. run your pattern wires to that switch. This will change the pattern to any of the lights that are turned on at the time.
    7. run your turn on leads to your two switches, depending on what lights you want operated by each switch.

GOOD LUCK!:mechanic:

http://youtu.be/7tb70Cz4-ic

3. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

nice rig, did I see 2 different sets of haw in the rear?

4. JBano13

JBano13 Member

I actually just ordered 14 of these, 12 in amber/ white and 2 in amber/amber on cyber monday for a 2013 F350 and was hoping I didn't get over my head. I was hoping to do the same as you with the reverse lights and cargo lights and then surface mount three on each side of where my running boards mount on and make them steady burn with the cargo lights for when you open the truck door. I was also going to replace my front amber halogen bulb with these and possibly make them work with the trucks turn signal if possible. Post your experience when you complete yours.

5. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

suren I hope to get started tomorrow. I've read a good bit about these lights. They seen pretty nice. If you are doing anything thats steady burn, if all 12 diodes are lit, it will overheat and self destruct or worse. There is a way to reduce the intensity of the lights but I don't have any details on that.

6. JBano13

JBano13 Member

I believe you can't steady burn more than 11 that are hooked up together.

7. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I mean each single light. in about 20 minutes of steady use the thing will overheat and break. from what I now understand after some research, after a set amount of time the light will shut off half of the 12 diodes inside the lighthead to prevent it from overheating. they were not originally designed for the light to be turned on for long periods of time.

8. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

No. The rear HAW's are half amber and half blue. One mode flashes just the ambers and the second mode alternates the blue and the amber. Awesome light and the only one I found with that capability.

When money permits, I will be putting four more of the HAW on my step bar pillars as well.

9. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

I too just want to point out that you can't leave these lights on steady burn very long. Backing up hasn't been an issue but lots of customers running them any longer than that have had lots of issues with burned up LEDs

10. JBano13

JBano13 Member

I don't plan on ever leaving them on very long. They will on steady burn when the doors are open for the lights for the steps, when in reverse, and the cargo lamps for the bed which are only really only at short intervals when the exit and entering lights come on.

There is a good review on these bulbs with some temperature measurements here:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f33/fe...diode-final-update-final-install-video-47728/

The review isn't perfect but it gives you an idea.

11. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

I'm told from fenix these haw will go full power for around 10-13 secs than cut half power when using as a steady burn. They can stay on as steady burn for aslong as you need and they say aslong as not full power hence the reason they cut half power will run aslong as you need.

I have one guy who drives with us who has several of these in his rig and the way it is setup on his truck he has them in the running and parking lights on all the time with no problems plus the strobe mode. From what he tells me he has had them setup this way since last season no problems no burn outs so far. Now i have a dodge and can't do this cause they are only two mode lights but their working on a 3 mode light that will work with a dodge type light setup this is why there is another wire that is not used yet for future options.

See the dodge uses blinker and parking light bulb the same and some other trucks have separate parking light and blinker light which can be used with the two mode haw in a parking mode steady burn and the strobe mode. Now with the dodge i have i would need a steady burn mode a strobe mode and a strobe mode to accommodate my setup which they don't have yet.

Awesome haw lights very bright and clean color even in only half power mode i was surprised good luck with them.

12. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

I have these lights in Amber/Clear. I have an 05 gmc 2500hd. I have them wired in my truck but can not get them to work the way I would like. When I turn on the cargo lamp switch they do not come on. I want the white to come on when that happens. But when I flip the switch for the amber to come on they will flash amber. But the cargo lamp switch has to be on in order for the amber to come on. Can someone help me on this matter......

13. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

IDK what you have wired up!

The lights have four wires. A ground, two turn on leads and a pattern wire. One of your wires, red or yellow, should be tied into your cargo lamps and the other to your switch. The modes should be independent of each other.

14. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

I'm not sure how you got it wired either but i was told you only use 3 of the wires the other wire is for options in the future.

15. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Yeah, one of mine came with a green wire which I was told was for a future third mode.

16. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

finally got a chance to work on the lights today. I was able to get the backup lights replaced, wired in, and synced. not too difficult of an install. does anyone know if I have to run a separate momentary switch to change flash pattern on the front set or can I just tap into the momentary switch for the rear lights?

17. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

forgot to add, those suckers are BRIGHT!

18. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I would say, if you have a pattern switch hooked up to your rear lights then you can tie into that for the front lights. Providing that you can turn the lights on and off independently. Otherwise, when you change the pattern, it will effect both sets. Just my opinion.

19. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I just spliced the front blue wire to the rear at the switch and it changes patterns on all four lights. Have 3 switches total, turn on for front and back, and momentary for pattern change. I finished it up today and am very happy with the results.

20. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

glad to hear.