1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fender trimming?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TRUP, Mar 11, 2003.

1. TRUP

TRUP Member

I've got a four inch lift on my 82 K20 with 285 MT's. I wanted to buy 35's, but the saleman warned me they would hit the running board & fender in the the front-end. Does anybody out there have 35's on their truck, and did they have to do anything special to get them to fit?:confused:
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

On my 77 K/20, I had to trim the fenders to get a set of 35's not to rub. I had a 4" lift at the time, and didn't have to trim off much. I soon after installed a 3" bodylift, but even with that, it would be best to trim the corners a little anyway (only less).

It only takes the tire hitting the fender a few times to leave some nasty cuts in your nice new tires. Been there, done that. They will rub when you turn into parking lots, and driveways. Going straight ahead, the really don't hit. Even if you were installing 33's with a 4" lift, I would still trim a little off.

FWIW, I had a set of "33's" before I bought the 35's. The reason I bought the 35's, is that the 33's looked small with a 4" lift. I got out a tape measure, and they measured 30". I was shocked. Then I found out tires don't always literally measure what the size on the sidewall says. If you look at the ads in the 4wd magazines, some will list "actual tire diameter" along with the size. The 35's I bought (BF Goodrich Mud T/A's) did in fact measure exactly 35" on the truck.

IF you plan on doing any off roading, then I suggest you trim off anything that will hit with the suspension fully compressed, and the wheels turned closest to the fenders. I have seen trucks with tires that were too big, get stuck off road in a tight spot, because the tires were stuck against the fender. OF course, you can shred the tire and fender and get the truck unstuck, or you can trim the fender and avoid problems.

Trimming the fender is a whole other project, in that steps must be followed to prevent the start of rust.

3. Captkaos

Captkaos PlowSite.com Veteran