1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fender cutting

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowman2025, Feb 28, 2007.

1. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

Hey guys, I just came across a set of 37x12.5x16.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT Military-OZ tires for FREE. I want to mount them on my truck, but don't want to left my truck. I got one mounted on the front and when i turned checking clrearance of course i hit the back of the wheel well. Anyone have any experience cutting fenders back, and if so how did you do it? thanks :)

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I think it is going to be impossible to get 37s on a non lifted truck. Guys with 6" lifts stick with 35s. I think you would have to take the fenders off.:waving:

3. snowman2025

it fits fine in the wheel well, all except for turning...

i'll take some pictures this afternoon of them..

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Yeah take some pics. I would like to see what they look like and how far into the wheels wells they are. Seeing that you scored on the free tires invest in a lift!payup

5. snowman2025

i can't/don't want to do a lift because i pull a gooseneck trailer with it all the time. i can barely fit under my trailer the way my truck sits now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i realize the rims look like crap, but they were free. they are actaully steel rims custom made for ag trucks that were used as sprayers. The front wheel well sits the same as the one pictured, except when i turn the wheel.

i'm gonna have to get different rims unless i get some one to open up the hub hole a little bit more. the rims were made for a 97 and older f-350

6. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

If you are really set on cutting the fenders............................:dizzy:

The quick easy cheap way to do it, is to use a string and pencil. Get the string on the centerline of the axle and draw and arc to your liking and need on the fender. and cut away, using the plastic mud guards to hide the cut. You need them legally.

Not sure about the best way, but the ones I have seen came out nice. Make sure the check the clearance / distance on both sides of the tire, do not assume they are equal.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

With larger tires and towing/plowing you will probably need to regear to keep your power. Otherwise your truck will feel way underpowered with stock gearing and much larger tires than stock.

8. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I put some 40's on my 77 f150 with no lift or fender cutting, it did rub, but on the arm goin to the axle. You will lose some power and speedo will be off. A sawzall or a jigsaw with a fine metal blade will do a good job. Cover the paint with good masking tape first and draw your lines on that, well if you like your paint, I would make sure all they hit is the sheet metal first though, have you checked it with the springs compressed like driving one side up on a mound or jack only one side up? You may find it won't clear then.

9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Bushwacker cut out flares to cover those tires.

BUSHWACKER CUT-OUT FENDER FLARES, FRONT PAIR -- OEM Matte Black Finish, Or Easily Custom Painted To Match Or Accent Any Vehicle, Dura-Flex Material Gives Maximum Durability And Flexibility, Exclusive Bold Docket Design And Style, Offers Extreme Tire And Wheel Coverage Allowing You To Increase The Wheel Well Opening To Accommodate Large Tires And Wheels, Stainless Steel Hardware Included, With Screw Pocket, Tire Coverage 4.5 Inch

BW-cutout.jpg

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

They may fit just fine on a jack up in the air but how about under full compression? Fully compress the front end and turn then and see what hits. If you cut the outer sheet metal you still have to deal with the inner wheelwell. Use the same method as others have posted and you will be fine. Good luck and send some "after cutting" pics

11. snowman2025

that wasn't jacked up in the air, that was the tire fully sitting on the ground no otehr support on it.

I've rethought it after mark13's comment and i think i've talked myself out of putting them on this truck...but we've got an old 94 250 powerstroke i think they will work great on :)