1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Felt like the Godfather the other day!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Dec 28, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We had 8-12 inches of snow yesterday. When I got home to check messages had all these calls looking for plowing or prices. Everyone ignores the Godfather until they need a favor!
  2. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

LoL, I guess you have a bit of an advantage in negotiating with 8-12 already down.
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Nothing like waiting 'till the last minute. Do you usually service them?
  4. grandview

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

6. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

Ya don't answer that one
  7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

One of those messages was from me asking if you would take my personal check .... sorry to derail the thread !!!!
  8. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I had about 70 calls the 2 days after, Basically when everyone realized that 6" of snow and 3" of ice plus 1/2" of rain makes for 4" of broken backs. Sorry not trying to break my men or equipment. My time is too valuable, my contracts too important, and the risk too high. Best of luck to you.
  9. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I thought you were going to say...You woke up next to a horse head, or someone sent you 2 fishes instead of a check.
  10. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

lol grandview. It was the same way for me... I can't believe how many people hadn't hired anyone by wed. :dizzy:

I lost track of how many people called wanting a spot on my route lol... or even better, the ones who wanted me to drive 45 minutes out of the way to plow once :laughing:

although a couple flagdowns did supply me with gas money for the week payup
  11. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I always ignore the storm day callers. Some will have the nerve to ask why I advertise than. Of course I tell them because I'm looking for seasonal customers.
    Grandview, you have to go home to check messages? I've been forwarded my business line to the cell phone for 10 years, when I want to, when I leave the office. I know many calls aren't important but some are.
  12. grandview

I have my answering service setup to where someone calls the service then sends me an email.Only my commercial customers have my cell number.
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You look more like a Godmother.
  14. grandview

At least I'm not a fairy.:D
  15. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

You don't check your email on your phone?
  16. wondo

wondo Senior Member

A nice big open lot I had last year went with a lower price this year. I just got a call from the building owner asking if he could get on my route. I told him my price went up 20% and he said bring over a contract... The other guy must have been real bad lol.
  17. grandview

Nope. If they are calling around then they are looking for the cheapest person who answers the phone.
  18. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I agree. If the storm hits and they are not prepared, they think they can call and you'll be right over. I took on a huge amount of snow removal this season. The first two events were hectic to say the least. The third event went rather smooth. While doing them I got a call from a person I don't know that's 30 miles away and acted demanding that I come out and clear the snow for them. I told them I'm booked. By the time I said I couldn't do it, they hung up!