1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fell in my lap

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Lucky Star, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Junior Member

Ok I have a great opportunity that just fell in my lap but need to respond quickly. I have the chance to take on a Home Depot parking lot. I don't have the lot dimensions but as we all know those lots are big. I have never bid a large commercial lot like this, everything I have is smaller and can bid no problem. What ballpark price do you guys bid these lots or how? Strictly by the hour or by the inch? If you guys can give me something to get me started in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. It will more than likely be one truck and a bobcat. THANKS
  2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Trade secret. I'm sworn not to tell.
  3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Didn't they give you spec's on the level of service they require?
  4. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Junior Member

Not too many details when there is 2" the plowing begins. All snow will be piled in a designated area. They want someone there ready to go when that 2" is there. SAlt will also be applied. Just looking for some assistance to get me started in the right direction so I can start the more serious talks with them THANKS
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

2" trigger for a commercial? lawyers around here would have a field day with that. No offense, but I suspect it may be out of your league if you plan on attacking a HD with just a bobcat and truck. One pile typically means you have to move a lot of snow a long distance, you need a big loader with push box. You need the loader to stack the pile.

Go on google earth and give us a satellite link to the site.
  6. tutianoburgante

tutianoburgante Member

Who will you be working for

What is the name of the company that you will be getting paid for Home Depot or the property owner or USM
  7. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I would watch out, it could be the previous contractor wasn't getting paid and bailed on them. There could be other reasons as well, but not many people would fire a plowing contractor in the middle of winter without having a replacement before they did so. Just be careful and read the contract. Some contracts call for line items for each catatgory plow per specified amount of snow ie 1-3", shoveling, sanding, calcium, but burried in there is a line that says each event includes all of the following in the plowing price. We are doing a few lots that size and with shoveling, calcium, sanding and plowing small storm is about 2500 - 3500. The up side is you can usually sand these stores more often then you do most of your other customers (pre treat, during the storm, end of storm, spot treating following day). Another benefit is not to stack the snow unless it says to in the contract. That way your able to bill extra for stacking and moving after the storm if they need more parking.
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

There is a Lowes across the street from the Wal mart I do and its plowed by just one pickup. This is his second year . So I know its possible to get a larger lot if you are a single plow operator. I would guess a average Home Depot is around $650 for plowing up to 4 inches.
  9. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Junior Member

Thank you thats what I was looking for to make sure I am in the general price range that I was thinking. Yes I am not signing or commiting to anything until we meet and sit down over all the specifics and the stacking and moving is known that it will be extra. Thanks again
  10. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Why are they looking for a new contractor in febuary??? friend had a H.D. lot threw a third party last year and is still owed money from them. 1 truck and a skid seems light on the equipment but might be enough in St Louis area.
  11. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

650 for a 4 inch storm?????

wouldnt leave my house to plow a home depot for that
  12. tutianoburgante

tutianoburgante Member

Hey you never answered my question who will the contract be with?
  13. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Mark, did you leave a zero out?
  14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Around here home depots are probably 3-4 acres on the front and 1-2 on the side and back. they have lots of island at the back of the lot and most guys around here push all the snow from the front of the store to the islands at the outer part of the lot. They are larger retail lots but you are not pushing snow 500' across a lot. Most around here are done with 1-2 pick ups. That price doesnt seem to bad to me but pricing is regional.

I bet the HD around me dont go for that much.
  15. tutianoburgante

tutianoburgante Member

who will you sign the contract with?
  16. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The old Home Depot that used to be here went for 580 up to 4 inches, 750 up to 8 inches and everything after that was hourly at 65 an hour per piece of equipment. That was a total of 3.2 acres of parking lot, and access lanes around the building. Salt was at 150 a ton, but that was last winters pricing. They closed up and now the lot sits, not plowed. I don't know if a pick up and a bobcat would be enough for that sized lot, but when I did Menards a couple years ago, we used an 11 foot plow on my dump truck, a 12 foot pusher on a front loader, and 2 pick up trucks any time it snowed more than 2 inches.
  17. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I don't think it wise for him too say in a public forum at this point. Do you?
    We are all friends here but competition still exists and we are never sure who may be trolling.:eek:
  18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You cant plow 3.2 acre with a truck and skiddy?:confused:
  19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I agree with you but

I think people are just trying to make the point that it might not be the " great opportunity " the OP thinks it is

BDEMOTT Senior Member

wow i wanted to start getting into large comercial lots but if thats how much people are getting for them then ill just stick to drivways and small lots.