1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Feet or no feet on the plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HDChevy.Farmer, Dec 25, 2013.

1. HDChevy.Farmer

HDChevy.Farmer Junior Member

8 out of 10 plows I see have feet on them but then the few I see with out feet what's going on? A lot of guys by me plow gravel so we all run feet on our plows, so what's your guys opinions? BTW merry Christmas

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Merry Christmas, and depends on what surface you plow mostly. With shoes you'll get less wear on the edge if you set the edge off the ground but you also get a terrible scrape on pavement. If your plowing gravel, by all means, use the shoes. I never use shoes and probably never will, I have 5 sets of Fisher plow shoes sitting in my garage, all brand new.

3. HDChevy.Farmer

So no shoes will wear the edge lot quicker and leave scrapes on the pavement? Do your costumers not care about the scrape marks? Thanks for the input!

4. jim5x5

jim5x5 Member

I used too when I first started out way back in the day when I was doing a lot of gravel driveways. But now I never use them doing all commercial lots.

5. HDChevy.Farmer

What would you guys say a good length to set feet at for gravel would be?

6. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

no he was saying with the feet the plow does not scrape the pavement as clean, not that it actually scrapes the pavement.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Correct.

I plow two gravel driveways without feet. Once they are frozen you're fine.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

I personally have no use for shoes on my plow... It scrapes much better without them and if I plow a gravel drive I just raise the plow a bit so it's the same effect as having the shoes on the plow

9. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

This year. I baught new plow shoes for my western I am currently using them as a weight to hold down the tarp over the salt complete waste of money lol on gravel just float a half inch above grade and hope the driveway is level all my gravel driveways in the contract states I will leave a layer of snow and salt the heck out of it

10. HDChevy.Farmer

Makes sense and since I am plowing more paved drive ways then I am gravel. I mise well not run shoes on my plow so I get a better scrap on the pavement thanks guys

11. jim5x5

jim5x5 Member

The first time I started subbing for a co doing commercial lots, he called me and told me to take those damn shoes off my plow. Never used them since. Lol

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Feet/shoes is a extra cost you have spend money on when its time replace the edge.

I even do some gravel lots and driveways and I have never used shoes on my Western

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I keep the shoes on my V plow, mostly because the pin holes are wollered out and I can't get them off without cutting them.
    My other blades have their shoes sitting in various places around the shop. I never use them, concrete,pavement,gravel,dirt,etc.

14. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I never use the shoes, though I might if I plowed a gravel ddriveway.

15. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't bother with using the shoes. My plow installer said most people won't even get them when ordering a new plow.

16. Capt. Fred

Capt. Fred Member

used to use them, they dont last anyway, break off or where out way to fast so dont mess with them anymore, comes to gravel i just pick the plow up a bit and skim across

17. RS69

RS69 Junior Member

I plow quite a few gravel driveways, and use the shoes on my boss.

18. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

no feet..!

19. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

I don't understand the hate on feet.

We are by definition 'big league' plowers, we plow all the parking at the local major metro airport. 8000+ spaces on surface lots plus two decks, arrival/departures etc. my personal truck is f350 cc lb 6.0l with a 8' hiniker plow. My plows three years old and i have the original cutting edge at about 85% life with over 300 hours and 1000+ miles of on the ground plowing on it.

I scrape the pavement just as good as anyone. The feet are just starting to get work as the beveled bottom contact patch is now flat.

The key is proper adjustment. On a new cutting edge, on perfectly flat pavement adjust the shoes so the weight is resting on the square cutting edge and the feet simultaneously. Then take off two of the thin washers from under the feet. This way the edge will wear in to bevel against the pavement, and the weight will rest on the feet as well.

We use feet on all 10 of our pickups, and scrape to black pavement everytime. Just because you use feet doesn't mean you need to set the edge 1/2" off the ground. Feet function the same as the wear bars on new vplows. The plow weight is still on the edge, the feet are just a longer lasting wear point.

20. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

shoes

My driveway is gravel and due to the amount of snow we get, I push the snow way back into my yard. Without shoes I end up raking the gravel out of my neighbors yard, my yard and fixing the scalped areas. Raising the plow works if the driveway is level and the transition to grass is also level. Shoes have their place!