1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fee's for leaving equipment on site

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BC Handyman, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I thought I'd start this thread because of a post Grandview made, & it got me thinking. I have not yet been asked or needed to, leave equipment on site for use only on that site.

So my queston is what do you guys think I should ask for/charge to leave equipment on site? I think it's only fair & I like the idea of charging a fee for leaving equipment on site if requested, since that equipment wont be able to make $ anywere alse.

Again I've never done this so I have no idea what the "going rate" would be. Hopfully I can figure it out before I'm asked, so I know what to say. I think this is a good topic that alot of guys have never thought about.

What do you think would be best/ideal?
    should I collect & hold retainer? or
    Charge a flat fee for season? or
    Charge a monthly fee? or
    any other ideas?
    Not that I own all these but, Please give me your thoughts on fee's for leaving,

3/4 ton with 8' blade
    skid steer with snow bucket
    100-150hp loader
    100-150hp ag tractor

I leave my skid on site right now & don't charge extra, but thats by my choice & I can take it whereever & whenever I want. Now how should it be if they request/contract me to leave it there?

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I've wondered the same thing. As many commercial lobs as I've bid on never once has it been required. We do keep equipment on sites but as you mentioned its always been for our own benefit. One site they do hire us because we keep the machine there and are able to pile the snow nice and high.....very interested to hear others who may do it.

3. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

If it is a per push account our retainer will reflect cost of ownership for:

-Equipment left onsite
    -Non dedicated equipment % of use on that site * cost of ownership
    -Initial ice melt procurement
    -Overhead

If it is a seasonal account it is built into the price.

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We build it in on seasonal (or its to our benefit) but on per pushes do they ask for the equipment or?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

our big mall last I heard is charged 500,000 for a retainer to keep it on site. Then all equipment is charged by the hour.

6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

500 grand retainer? that's insane.

7. grandview

Only 1 or 2 companies have the equipment for that size job. Most big construction companies don't want to work during the winter

8. grandview

mall.jpg

9. BC Handyman

So is it only acceptable/standard to charge/hold a retainer amount, & not charge a additional fee?

10. grandview

as to?:confused:

11. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

I imagine it would all depend on your market and what you can get away with. If you can get people to pay then do it.

12. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

That's a large mall.:eek:

13. BC Handyman

Well the way I see it is I can say to the client(not in these exact words) "to keep equipment on site, I'll need $X up front to be used towards services" or I could say "I'll charge $X for either every day,month,season, event ect.

Yes it's true about getting what I can get away with charging, but I thought there might be a "usual" way it's charged.

14. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

I dont know grandview, that really doesnt look like that big of a complex to me. 500k plus hourly.... believe nothing you hear and half of what you see.

15. grandview

More like, if you want me to tie up my stuff on your lot,and because I can bid on anything else ,it will cost you this much for the season. Then when it snows my snow plowing rates kick in.Retainer money does not go to snowplowing services.

16. grandview

2001 I ran a loader there.. It's big place 15 loaders with push boxes. You have to remember,these stores are paying big dollars for maintenance.When we had a big snow they paid to have all snow removed from the mall so every spot was open for xmas season.

17. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Literally the funniest thing Ive ever heard....

18. grandview

If you think that is funny hows this. This company that does it is one of the largest road builders in the area,making millions. All union shop. But during the winter no union guys plow there,they are on unemployment ,They hire guys to run the equipment. He knows no one else can handle it so he can ask want he wants or parks everything till spring.

19. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

None of the 500K retainer nonsense adds up... If you're a company that handles snow and ice management, then you know what you have for equipment and subs to handle what you have, and therefore don't need to charge an LOL "retainer PLUS hourly for your services". Not only that, but I know from some of your previous posts that your overall knowledge on the subject is limited at best.... I will bet you everything I own that that property you showed on Google Earth in no way shape or form paid out a half million dollar retainer, PLUS an hourly rate for 15 loaders with pushers for a snow season... NO WAY NO HOW NEVER HAPPENED.

20. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

thats what im saying...... no one else can handle that lot? seriously? dont you have a cat dealership? Buy 5 loaders and a few salt trucks of your own and rent the rest. I think you could handle it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.