1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Feeler, Possibly Selling, Make Offer

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by White Gardens, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Thinking of selling my C3500HD, 45,000 miles, and wanted to see if there is any interest in someone buying it. Looking to possibly purchase a bigger dump truck.

The Good.

Has a 10' rugby dump bed with drop sides that function.

Belt driven Central Hydraulic system that runs the dump bed, 9' fisher plow, and Flink Under Tailgate salt spreader.

8.1 motor that was recently tuned up. New plugs/wires, MAF sensor, injectors cleaned, etc..... Runs like a champ.

New forward gas tank last year. Anything that has been mechanically wrong through the years I've owned it has always been fixed. 85% if the hydraulic hoses have been replaced also. Too many newer parts put on to list out.

The Bad....

She's a bit rusty. The cab is over-all in good shape with no major rust. All surface. Could use a paint job. Body mounts are still great, etc...

Frame is overall in good-fair shape. Getting some scaling rust in places, and noticed one gusset on a cross member that might need attention.
    Dump bed is rusting due to the immense amount of salt that has gone through it in it's lifetime. The hoist, underside, and bed of the dump body is still in excellent shape, but the pillars, drop sides and head board are starting to rot out and need repair. The dump bed could either be repaired, replaced, or can be modified into a flat bed dump (which is probably what I'll do if I keep it).

I would not hesitate to drive this truck cross-country. Drives and runs excellent. Could make someone a good truck more more years to come if they want to take the time to make the repairs. At this point I'm not sure if I personally want to deal with it and just move on.

Make me an offer. Keep in mind the plow and salt spreader will come with the truck. Will post pics later today.

Needs washed, will be doing that Tuesday.

White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
  2. White Gardens

Also has a posi rear for extra traction in the snow.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent write up on truck, what year?
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Its an 8.1 so its gotta be an 01 or 02
  5. White Gardens

Last of the "real" cab and chassis trucks, with the standard body that Chevy produced.

Has the solid front axle with leaf springs.

And to be clear, I don't want to over sell the truck, just trying to sell it for what it's worth to somebody. Already have another truck lined up to replace it.

Front tires are good to great.

Rears are at least 50% or better on tread.

Does need work though to keep it worthy for another 5-10 years. I just personally don't have the time or ambition to deal with it. And I'm looking for a bit more hauling capacity out of a dump truck to save trips and time.

But, it's still a 15k gvwr truck (with 16k plates on it.). Payload is 3.15 tons with the 16k plates. I need to be able to haul around 5 tons.

Salt spinner motor replaced over the winter along with a new spinner disk and hub.

Will throw out 3 tons of salt in 20 minutes or less with a 40' spread when getting a good bounce. Roughly 20-30' spread in normal conditions.

Still able to turn the dials down and do residential drives with the spreader also.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  6. giggity

giggity Senior Member

Any pictures???
  7. White Gardens

Besides the ones I posted?

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

In a different thread?
  9. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Pics not showing up for me either
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

They work for me. Good luck on the sale, if it was 4x4 I'd have some interest but I don't have the time or ability to convert it to 4x4.
  11. White Gardens

Understandable, in the 4 years I've had the truck, only one event made me wish it was 4wd. That was the blizzard of 2011. And really it was tight lots that a smaller 4wd would of been better in, or heavy equipment.

During that storm, my heavy equipment sub was raving at the performance of this truck in bigger lots we were working on with only 800lbs of ballast and the posi rear.

This season, it performed very well in our record breaking snow season. Never got stuck once.
  12. White Gardens

I'll post more pics tomorrow. Thanks!

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The boxes only show up with x in them on the cell phone.
  14. White Gardens

15. White Gardens

The pictures seem to make the truck look a bit better than it actually is, but you get the idea.

I can take specific shots later this week. I'll raise the bed and show the rust issues I had spoke of.

16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking truck!
  17. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

What kind of price you talking here?
  18. White Gardens

Honestly, I don't know what it's worth. I've seen these trucks all over the place on pricing, and all over the place in terms of condition/price.

If I had to start somewhere, I'd say 13k and go from there (might be high on the asking price). I'm really thinking the value lies in the plow(1k), the hydro unit(3k) and the spreader (2k). The rest would be in the truck.

But, If anyone wants to make an offer, go right ahead, I won't be offended. I've made plenty of money off the truck, but yet I do want to get something back out of it.

Like I said, it does need some attention to keep it road worthy in the future.

And really, I want to be honest on what it is, so if anyone wants to look at it in person, or wants more specific pics, let me know.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  19. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Nice truck. I had the same truck except 02 with a diesel. Money maker$$$$$$$$$$$. These things are built to last forever. I sold mine 3 yrs ago for $12.5K if it helps for reference. Same specs for plow and salter and hydraulics. Don't be scared of 2wd as mine plowed more snow than anything I ever seen. Common sense and you are not getting stuck. Someday I hope to restore one of these as a marketing/parade truck for my business.
  20. White Gardens

Agreed about the 2wd and it plowing some serious snow, especially with the posi rear in this thing. This thing is a beast and I'm torn on selling it. The decision is coming down to not having the time and the right shop to deal with it to really address the issues that it does have and needing to haul just a bit more material each time to save time and money. Just some good basic TLC will keep this thing running a long time.

It's basically a cost/time factor.

The 8.1 is the best gas motor for a bigger truck hands down. I love romping on it and making it go, and my 6 year old son is always begging me to take him grocery shopping in it, "because it's faster...." LOL.

I've had it filled to capacity with a 10k trailer fully loaded for a total of 25,999 pounds (thumbs up) and it will almost equal a diesel in pulling. Even the truck I'm thinking of buying has an 8.1 in it, but it's a C5500.

I'm really wanting an F-550, but I want a gas motor and not a diesel, and like I said, the 8.1 is super strong and reliable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.