1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Feel free to examine this tight Senior Living complex

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Nov 14, 2013.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Tight place, alot of walks. Looking for ideas and suggestions

I have an XLS I will use, and I have an extra skidsteer. Should I put a 10' pusher on the skid or 10' plow with down pressure to clean up?

An 8' Kage would be great, if I had one

For sidewalks, spend about $2500 on a cheap used ATV with plow? Or suck it up with 30" blower and some big snow plow shovels, maybe the one that plows the snow? Notice the long walks along the road.

I hate stuff like this, no room to maneuver, but I need the extra work. All pay by the hour.

Park View.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Truck with XLS and spreader.

Skid with pusher to carry the snow to the designated location. Looks like limited places to pile it.

Three man walk crew. If the walk are wide enough the ATV would be great, if there like our apartments we can't fit ours down the walks because the cars bumpers stick over. If that's the case then two blowers and one guy with shovel doing detail work.

I think if you could swing a Kage you would really eliminate the need for the truck other than salting.

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

They would have to pay really really well to get me in there. Looks like a nightmare.
    Consider hiring in a bus load of Mexican migrant workers maybe..hand each one a shovel.

But seriously.....2 men, 2 large blowers, and 2 more with shovels...and the XLS, and the skid with a power angle plow..
    Open the lanes, then use the skid to back drag the parking spots...at least the ones with no cars..nightmare..

4. MatthewG

I know its a miserable place to plow, nightmare is right. Sadly I lost a lot of work this week close to 36 acres, so I need to fill in where I can.

I did charge $100/HR for truck and $150/HR for skid

5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

These places are my wheelhouse, love it. Xls and a 8' pusher and go. As far as backdragging spots, we don't plow any spots unless they are 3 consecutive open spots. It's in the contract.

If you're hourly use a teaspoon!!!

6. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I agree with above. We love these kind of accounts. No one wants them so we pretty much name our price. If it's all hourly what's to lose.

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Being hourly, I suppose I would go hit it with the truck, and a man on the blower. No sense getting it done as quickly as possible. Not to say I would sandbag, but I'd leave the skid home.

8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

2 guys on blowers, 1 shoveler, 1 skid with 8' something that can backdrag, & your truck 3-4hrs

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

10-4 good buddy Thumbs Up

10. MatthewG

I only have 10' pushers or 10' skidsteers blades. I could sell one as I found an 8' pro tec with a pull back very close by. He wants $2600 though, gotta jew him down, too much

11. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

IMO that 8' pusher with back drag is better suited, cause the lane aint wide enough for your truck to pull in & back drag out with all the cars in way, you'll want to use the 8' & skid then your truck can push it out with skid helping push & pile after it back drags the empty parking spaces.
    Being a senior place, you can count on cars always being there.

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Matthew, how will they move cars? One side to the other over 2 days? I say don't discount a 8' snow bucket for your skid. It back drags and lets you move snow to the nearest pilling location. If they are moving cars from side to side for you then get a 10' plow and pusher combo such as Kage or Snow Wolf. I also think a 9'er will let you fit into most open parking stalls.

If I were to plow the parking and drive areas with my Skid and 10' Snow Wolf with FastTach I could do it in 3 hrs with no cars in the lot. Less time of course with lots of cars around. Then next day come do where the cars were. I would say that time would work for anything 6" or below. Just to give you a gauge if need be.

13. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Ditch witch with blower and/or broom for the walks with one guy, truck with expandable and salter, skid steer with 8' pusher....clause to haul piles in big years

14. CPC

CPC Junior Member

I don't usually post on here but I feel like everybody on this thread plow super slow. unless they are saying to take you time because it hourly. but I could know this place out easily under 3 hours with one truck with a v blade. don't do any stalls if your coming back the next day when they move their cars. unless it a wide open shot. but cant really lose out here getting paid hourly.
    as for sidewalks I have no clue for time. but a quad with a blade would obviously help out. we run into the same problem with people parking over the curb (especially old people) so youd have to shovel some spots.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How about you use what you have until you figure out what is best and maybe you'll decide the equipment you have plus extra man hours is most cost effective.

16. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Why not open a branch on Mars?

17. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

:popcorn::popcorn:

18. nick4634

nick4634 Member

x2 this place doesnt look that bad definantly not enough to need skid, truck, and 4 shovelers. a truck with a wideout and a couple shovelers should be able to do it in 3 hrs

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I aspire to be just like you two...you guys rock!

20. SSS Inc.

SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic

I think you're right on Nick.