1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback would be very apprecaited, thank you.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by S33n, Feb 9, 2009.

1. S33n

S33n Junior Member

Hey guys, Im new the forum and new to the snow industry. This year is my first year. I am being subcontracted out to do commercial walkways. I have a trailer and 2 blowers, salt is provided for me by the company that is contracting me, but I must supply my own diesel. I have one person working with me, and I pay him 14$/hr. At the beginning of the season I bargained with the contracter and we agreed on $60/hr. Does this seem like a good deal to u? Im taking home $46/hr gross and it costs me $20-30 in diesel each time I do my route.
    Any feedback on the agreement I made positive or negative would be apprecaited. (My location is Waterloo, Ontario, if that makes a difference?).

The second topic I wanted to touch on, would it be a good idea to save up and put a 1.5 cu. yard salter on the back of my '03 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. Are larger companies known to contract out a salting truck such as this without a plow? I have heard from a few guys that I work with that it might be a good idea to just mount a salter on the back and leave the plow off. If people are looking for this type of sub contracter, what do you think I could command in an hourly structured pay scale? Also, could my truck handle a 1.5 yd salter? What kind of damage would this do to my truck? I know that salt will get sprayed up and under my truck everywhere, but how rough is this on my truck? Could I lift my truck and paint it with some of that amour all paint to try and protect it? (sorry about all the questions, but I have many things to think about)

Thanks guys, I'm happy to be a new member here.

Sean

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Your hourly rate on the hand snowblowers sound okay. All depends how many hours youre gettin off the subwork.Im based in Renfrew so I wont bother commenting on your second question. As far as salt damage goes, your truck will always be working under salty conditions, not to mention the risk in driving in adverse weather icy conditions etc. Salt is hard on equipment

3. S33n

S33n Junior Member

In December I logged 84 hours onto my bill. January I logged 82 hours.

Sean

4. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

i dont know about your area but the city of lowell ma pays 90/hr for a pickup sanding, might want to check with your town to see what they pay so your in the ballpark. as for protection i like the mudflap that goes all the way across from wheel to wheel, and nothing baets taking 2min to hose your truck off after the storm. hope this helps

5. augerandblade

Yah thats okay, all depends what your total fuel bill is each month. Thats how I started out back in the 80 's . Keep up the good work , look for more opportunitys, keep building your business. Good Luck/Fortune

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just to clarify, are you making 60 an hour per man, per snowblower, or 60 an hour for the combined package?

7. S33n

S33n Junior Member

$60/hr for the entire package, and I have to pay my guy $14/hr because its on call work, and I think he's worth it.

So I'm taking home $46/hr gross. It's about $20 in diesel per call out. About 10-12 call outs per month.

Sean

8. S33n

S33n Junior Member

So far im averaging 80-85 hours a month. He offered me $50/hr in the beginning, I asked for $65 and we settled on $60. I hope I didn't short change myself.

Sean

9. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I know some contractors that pay people with there own trucks about 19-20 per hour for shoveling routes if the use there own vehicle.

10. S33n

S33n Junior Member

Wow, I would never do it for 19-20/hr. How are u supposed to make a living paying for diesel, an employee, insurance and repairs on 19-20 an hour? not to mention it's on call work. :confused: I am doing commercial walkways, big malls, as well as alot of large city sidewalks. Maybe those guys are doing smaller routes? I also have to salt the entire property by hand. (excluding the parking lot of course)

Sean

11. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I think he meant if they hired a younger guy, some 17 to 20 year old, who'd go around and shovel/snowblow residential walks and such, by himself in his own truck with his own equipment. I highly doubt anybody'd ever work large commercial lots for $19-20/hr.

12. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i know people who contract out salting but not for guys with pick-ups, it's usually guys with the large 6+ yard salters.

13. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

Whose insurance policy covers you if there is a slip and fall on the walks that you salt? Do you have a commercial liability policy of your own?

Are the contracts seasonal or per time that you are servicing for the contractor?

14. S33n

S33n Junior Member

I talked to the contractor at the beginning of the season about the insurance situation. He said that his insurance would cover it. Was he right in telling me that? I asked him if I needed my own insurance, and that I would be happy to get it if he increased the rate of pay, he told me not to worry about it because he would be liable. I have in/out sheets that I record and give to him at the end of every month. As far as his contracts, I'm not sure. Could you please clarify what you mean by seasonal and per term. (That's probly a really dumb question) :dizzy:

15. augerandblade

seasonal-usually a set time period Nov to Apr at a set price .....................per time could cover a set time period however the charges for snow removal is based actual time spent on site carrying out snowremoval etc

16. S33n

S33n Junior Member

Ok sorry, I mis-read her post, I thought she said season or per term. U know I'm not sure. I think he has a mix of both. He is always talking about cash flow, and waiting to get paid.

17. augerandblade

;:confused:Yikes, I hope you got paid for your first installment. Make sure you have everything documented

18. S33n

S33n Junior Member

I have been paid twice already, within the 30 days he is legally given. He is good for it, been in the business 25 years, and we do some of the biggest malls, stripmalls and complexes in the city. I Just called him the one day and asked if the cheques were in the mail, he said he had to wait due to cash flow.

19. augerandblade

Good to hear that, Did he ask you to give y our name and licence number to his insurance company. Perhaps someone who subs out work here in Ontario will be able to help you with this insurance problem.

20. augerandblade

If you were snowblowing and picked up a object that blew out of the blower and did damage to a window or vehic le. Who would pick up the tab for damage You or the contractor. That is something I would be concerned about