1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by KubotaJr, Feb 3, 2009.

1. KubotaJr

KubotaJr Senior Member

My 04 F250 5.4 v8 with 105,000 is riding really rough. Over the summer i replaced the sway bar links, then i replaced upper and lower ball joints on the drivers side. Recently i replaced the sway bar bushings and replaced the stock shocks with skyjacker nitro shocks. The truck still rides pretty rough, meaning that you bounce around a good amount when hitting small bumps or frost heaves or anything else of that matter. Any idea on what could be causing this?

2. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

Your first 3/4 ton truck?
  3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

look at the warentee plate on the driver side "B" pillar for the spring code. i bet it has X code springs in it. that is the 6000 lb plow spring, and it will ride stiff.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

My dad has an 2k F250 with the 5.4 and plow prep. Alone the truck is way over sprung. front end bounces all over the place even with new Bilstein shocks. He will never put a plow on. Trying to convince him to downgrade on the springs. How does the truck run with your plow on it?
  5. KubotaJr

KubotaJr Senior Member

I have no problem with it riding stiff, id actually prefer it to ride stiff. It just seems like something is loose. I checked everything out and nothing is loose.
  6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

thats how fords ride, like a lumber wagon and i love it. :rolleyes: my 350 unloaded is extremely rough riding.
  7. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

What are your tires inflated to? Don't inflate them to the max tire pressure stated on the sidewalls unless you're running maximum loads all the time.

Typical random example- sidewall says 3,020 lbs at 65 psi. Unless you're running 6,040 lbs on each axle (3,020 x 2 tires), there's no reason to have the tires at 65 psi and you'll end up with a stiff ride. I usually run my load range E tires at about 45 psi and they ride fine. Figure out what each axle sees for a load, divide it by two and take that number and divide it by the sidewall weight rating. Take that number and multiply it by the sidewall max psi.

Axle sees 4,000 lbs typical usage.
    4,000 divided by 2 (2 tires per axle) is 2,000.
    2,000 divided by 3,020 lbs sidewall rating = .66
    .66 x 65 psi sidewall rating = 43 psi for normal daily usage.
  8. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

Every Ford I have owned has done the same thing.