1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback on Western Pro Plus W/Wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DuramaxPowered, Oct 27, 2005.

1. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Looking for feedback about the pro plus plows. If you have one of these can you post some pictures and tell me how you liked it? Thanks

2. Sawdust Bob

Sawdust Bob Junior Member
    from Il

I have a 8.5 Pro Plus with wings and love it. Used it for 2 winters no problems at all.The wings are something that you will not want to do with out.

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

love em. Makes life much easier.

4. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

western proplus-w-wings

Last year I had a 1990 GMC 3/4 ton Suburban we were trying to sell, couldn't get $6000.00 and was in excellent shape. Anyway no takers so I had installed a 7.5' western pro-plus -w-wings. The rubber on the wings tend to tear off alot (went through 6 last year) @ $80.00 ea., other than that I am totally pleased with it, and I wouldn't do without the wings ! If you get wings on the plow be careful of curbs when plowing,

5. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

I didn't think the proplus wings had any rubber. Can someone verify this? You might be talking about the regular lighter duty wings.

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

The pro plus wings by western have rubber, but I do not know how you can rip it off. This is because there is a huge steel bar covering the entire top of the rubber. I picked up 4 parking pylons with mine last winter and I bent the wing without loosing the rubber.

7. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

This is actually the area where they always could rip off, right below that hugh rubber bar your talking about (6") x (1 1/2") maybe !! Places alot of stress on the rubber at that point, its the weakest link ......:cool:

8. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Does this mean these proplus wings or the regular wings don't hold up that well?

9. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

No --I would say this, that if you are plowing parking lots that are paved, you probably will have no problem with these wings, actually you'll love em..but if you are plowing roads, driveways, anywhere people landscape with rocks or similiar objects be really careful, these wings tend to take abuse like anything else then tear at the weakest point, right below the metal bracket that holds them in place.., We went through 8 last winter---operator error !!!!!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

have had only the best luck with them (we have over 10 of them now) the only complaint I have is that the back dragging edge builds up with snow and doesnt scrape as well as a plus without the backdragger edge.

11. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

The proplus sure sounds like the plow to get. Sounds to me like it is the most heavy duty plow on the market in a straight blade.

12. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Well guys answer me this... I will be plowing my local county airport this year. Been doing it in the past with a ex county snowplow truck which got sold on a county auction last spring. It is 1 mile x 40feet wide runway with maybe a 1/4acre turnaround on each end. There is roughly 7 acres of plowing to do along the hanger buildings, and the ramp (airplane parking lot). Would you use wings to do a job like this? Worried about the runway itself wereing out the cutter bars fast. It would kinda be loke plowing a road. What do you g=uys think? Thanks!

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a good place to use a Polar edge. Im sure you will really be getting up there on your speeds I dont think your steel edges will last long. I really dont know how the U-edge would work with the wings but definatly get
    the wings. The wider the better for open spaces with no curbs.
    Todd

14. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Your correct... Back and fourth on the actual runway my speeds will be up. How fast i really don't know just yet but i know in the past with the county dump truck i'd go 40+mph and it worked well. Don't know how fast a guy could go in a pickup though. Looking for thoughts.