1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback on Bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by horizon jay, Jul 23, 2014.

1. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Bidding on our first 24 hr factory. Most of the stuff we have done in the past has usually been closed at night (besides gas stations etc). They have 2 loading docks and need salt on walks, docks etc. Maybe I am over thinking it but dont want to get screwed by underbidding it. Trying to decide should I do flat rate or hourly? Im pretty sure they would prefer flat rate so interested in what others would charge. Salt as needed, not every push. I am alotting 1 truck for the lot (can bring in another if need be) and one bobcat with blade for dock & walks. Loading docks are not real steep. Lot is pretty wide open. Pavement is just under 3 acres. Trigger is 2". Truck with 9' Blade is $70/hr Bobcat with 8' box is $85/hr. What are your thoughts? How would you price it? Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

snow bid lot rate.jpg
  2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

No way in hell would I run my truck for $70 an hour. After gas, insurance, loan payment, wear on cutting edges & tires, and payroll for the driver.. there's precious little left to call profit.
    A truck has got to be valued at what it can make elsewhere. As a minimum, I figure a $40 driveway every 20 minutes. So, a minimum of $120 an hour.
    IMO, you should figure how many hours the truck will be there plowing, and figure it @ $100 per hour bare minimum. If the truck is there 2.5 hours, $250. Flat rate or hourly, you make the same.
    The skid, it too should be at least $100 per hour, depending on the snow moving it can do. $100 for an 8 foot blade, more for a 10 foot box.
    Again, JMO. I am sure certain members will wail and knash teeth at my preposterous ideas.
  3. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Thanks for the feedback! A lot of people are charging $65/hr for truck and some charge $75, so I split the difference at $70. I ended up submitting bid last night with truck at $70 and bobcat at $100. Your right, $85 was too low. I told them we can talk about seasonal or flat rate if they want to. After
    This last winter I'm afraid to go seasonal. We had record snowfall. However I think if I agreed to seasonal it would be in the bag. Not really sure how to price that on a new account tho. I
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you paying your operators?
  5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Do you mean people pay $65-75 for subs?
  6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I do not work hourly! The price would be to high. People will pay $50 to get their driveway done but if your told them it would be $200 an hour they would choke. But it would still only cost them $50. Just how you look at it. I Also don't like an hourly rate because you are now being timed. Sometimes it take longer than others and sometimes it is shorter.
    This may not right for you area - $350 a push with a 2 inch trigger .
  7. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Dieselss- Im thinking $20/hr for this place.

Whiffy- I wish that was for subs... No thats average truck rate. Thats why I prefer flat rate.

Maxwell -- This is true, Interesting outlook! With flat rate some people dont think they should pay more for a 4" storm, Even if I start at 2" and come back for the next 2". They think its all ONE push. Especially if I get to one end and start over... $350 seems fair without salt tho.

Thanks for feedback everyone!!

What are thoughts on seasonal? Has anyone been burned so bad they will never go back?
  8. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Have you done seasonals in the past? I've found most commercial buildings would rather have a seasonal price split up.

If you are confident in your time estimates, go for seasonal. Just remember, we had a record year last year in MN, businesses who were per push will want to change to seasonal, seasonals will want to stay seasonals.

Its pretty unlikely we will have another year like last.

If you gave us some sq ft amounts of plowable and sidewalks, we could help you more.

Also- With hourly, your low for our area. We try and get atleast $100/hr for a 8' straight, $120 for a 8.5v, $130 for 8-10 wideout. Bobcat depends on what attachment your using.