1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

feed back on western plows

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ludwig, May 11, 2005.

1. ludwig

ludwig Junior Member

I'm just curious as to what people actually think about Western plows. I've heard some good and bad things about them, but I would like to read some feed-back from people who have actually used Western plows before. Information such as how long you've used the plow, where in the States you used it and any organization your a part of would be a plus. Thanks!

Ted.

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Ted,
    Western makes great plows ! Real world experience talking here. My Ultra mount is on it 3rd season and no problems. Before this truck I had the MVP on my last truck, plowed 3 seasons with that no problems. Before that truck ran a 96 Western Uni that plow is still in service in the fleet going on 10 years of commercial plowing for that blade. i plow in the Midwest just north of Chicago. Sima member.
    Todd

3. ludwig

ludwig Junior Member

Thanks for your quick response Todd! I went to school in Champaign Illinois, but never wintered north of that in US, how's the winter where you're at?

Ted.

4. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Just wondering what were the bad things you heard about western plows.

5. ludwig

ludwig Junior Member

I admit I'm a newb concerning plows, so when I stumbled upon this site, I did a little research and read some of the posts on here. One thing I remember was about a Western ultramount detaching from the vehicle when the person backed into a curb etc. I'm hoping to pique my curiosity about Western plows with an objective approach, hearing both sides (if indeed there are 2 sides). :D

Ted

6. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Love my ultramount. Don't think I'll ever switch to anything else.

Never heard of a detach unless the latch pins were not actually locked. I had one side foot rest drop on me, but it was my fault for not making sure the locking pin engaged when I hurriedly hooked up the plow.

7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I know people with Western plows that are 20 years old and still going strong. You are obviously are going to have maintenance with any type of plow, how much will depend on your willingness to do the maintenance when it is needed. Most simple thing...keep up with your fluid changes. Dirty or contaminated fluid can and will cost you down the road. My current Western is 6 years old and I have replaced 1 headlight relay but that was due to corrosion.

8. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i love my western plows no problems yet. works great

9. ludwig

ludwig Junior Member

Thanks for the replies and informations!

Ted

10. bcf

bcf Senior Member

My Unimount was bought two years old and I have plowed with it for two years. The mount itself is about the only thing I don't like about it, but with the new Ultramount that doesn't even concern you. I had to change the connectors to the control unit when I first got it, but that was an installer error. I got a newer truck I plan on mounting it to for another few years.

11. schnitz

schnitz Member

I learned how to plow with an 8'6 Western ('88?? vintage on an '88 GMC one ton)with the joystick control. Even after all those years, it was still a better plow than anything else I saw. Like snowmatt said, keep up on maintenance. My '84 Chevy has an 8' Western. That's why I bought it.

In a while, Chet.

12. T-MAN

Ted, Winters here have been okay. the money here (probally everywhere) is in salt. This previous season was good for me (1" triggers) guys on 2" triggers had another bad year. So to answer your ? Things have been good for me ;)
    Todd

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm just curious as to whether anybody else looked up Ludwig's profile and noted he is from China.

14. ludwig

ludwig Junior Member

is that a problem? :waving:

15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I think its cool to have someone from China checking in and posting, probably not much of a demand for snow plowing over there though , is there?

16. Mick

from Maine

No, not at all. It's just my curiosity showing. I think you're the first member from China. It made me do a double-take, cause the next town west on my highway is China, Maine.

Check out my latest post on the Off Topic section and you'll see that I tend to check out people's profile.

17. ludwig

ludwig Junior Member

ah cool, actually, lately, there has been a move for mechanization of ice and snow management in China, and I wish to create one of the first such organization in China. Up until this point, ice and snow management has been done in a very unsophisticated way (aka send thousands of people into the streets after it stops snowing, and remove the snow with shovels and picks). In the past couple of years, there has been a profound interest in how the Western nations manage their winters, creating a very interesting atmosphere here now in China.

:drinkup:

Ted

18. Mick

from Maine

You might want to check out SIMA (Snow and Ice Management Association) which is a paid site for snow and ice professionals.

http://www.sima.org/

19. ludwig

ludwig Junior Member

Thanks, checking it out now!

20. T-MAN

So Ted you went too U of I ? good school what was your major ?
    Also how the heck do they clear rural roadways ? Does your military handle all that ?
    Sorry about all the ?'s
    Todd