1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Feeback on new truck and plow setup please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hackitdown, Sep 30, 2013.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

I am looking for honest feedback on what I am looking to buy. I am hesitating on pulling the trigger on the purchase, this is a big expense for me. I am a landscaper that plows 35 to 40 residential driveways, and one small parking lot. I currently have 2 Chevy 2500HDs with Fisher 8' MM2 plows. We plow about 10 very long winding uphill driveways. We tow open dual axle trailers in the summer.

I just test drove Fords and Rams, and I think I like the Ram best. So I priced out a Ram Tradesman regular cab, 5.7 gas, 8' bed with a list price of $36K. The dealer can install a 8.5 Extreme V yellow steel plow for $5800, less a $1000 upfitter incentive from Dodge, net is $4800 on the plow.

My questions are regarding the plow/truck setup. Will the V plow make life easier, and/or make things quicker on the long uphill driveways? Is the truck and plow combination ok, or are there issues I need to know about?

Any feedback from the pros would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

ram 1500? is that tax in?

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You want the 9'6" Xtreme V-2, the new model.
    The V is 3x better than any straight blade.
    And IMO, the Ram is a poor choice. They do not have the beef to hold up plowing with the big V.

There is no better truck for plowing than a regular cab F250 or F250 Super Duty. And the 6.2 is more powerful and better on gas than the Ram too.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

1st mistake is the Ram...j/k, I'm a Ford guy

Assuming the truck is 250/2500 or higher, you'll love the vee.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

I am looking at the 2500 model. I thought the 8'6" Extreme V would be the correct size. I use 8' straight blades on my Chevy 2500s now. Anyone else have an opinion on 8.6 vs. 9.6?

It looks like after rebates/discounts the truck ($36K list) and plow would be $36K plus tax and reg.

6. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

build box extensions and turn your plow into a pusher. even better. cant widrow in V mode :)

7. 1olddogtwo

Sounds like a good match. I run a Vee 9/6 with wings. Who needs box ext?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZwSrIbAfTk

Its a tank

8. 1olddogtwo

9. birddseedd

are your wings facing forward? do you have a pic of them from teh front?

10. 1olddogtwo

Here ya go......

SS VEE 176.jpg

11. birddseedd

Nice. the wings seem to turn forward more than most. works great. reminds me of mine.

12. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

Nothing like yours

13. birddseedd

actually quite the same. both scoop snow rather than pushing it. Pushing way more than what a straight blade can

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  14. 1olddogtwo

Nothing like yours

Back on his thread. Let's us know and share the pics

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

15. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

A Blizzard 8611LP with danger wings would be better for that job.

Nice Ford thou.Thumbs Up

16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

First bigger isn't always better. You said you plow mainly residential? Go with the 8'6" vee. You'll have a hard time fitting a 9'6" in most drives. If you decide you want more width down the road buy a set a wings. That ram will hold a vee just fine too. Sounds like you're getting a decent price from your dealer too.

17. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You state nothing more than opinion. "There is no better truck for plowing..." The two trucks have almost identical power ratings in both categories. The 6.2 has 385 HP, and 405 TQ. The 5.7 Hemi has 383 HP and 400 TQ. So the Ford has a whopping 2 more HP, and a big 5 ft/lbs more torque. And please explain this "beef" that you're talking about.

18. 1olddogtwo

be honest with you for a half liter More engine I'd like more power I'm a Ford man.

19. birddseedd

I do not see how torque and hp are relivent to plowing, in any brand truck. My dodge can push 13k lbs. i do not think any truck can push that much snow. the tires would give out in traction.

front end loaders cant even push that much due to limited traction.

seems to me any comperable size truck with the same plow would plow pretty much exactly teh same.

although my truck does have wider tires than others.

20. 1olddogtwo

now we're talking I would love to have danger wings on my old WO