1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Federal Signal Target Tech Highlighter

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by chev_4x4, Dec 30, 2008.

1. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I have a highlighter mag mount that has worked for me since around 1999. Last year I went to put the light on the truck for the winter and only one bulb light up. I had another light and tried switching bulbs and no difference. I put the original bulb back in and wiggled it a little bit and it started working. The light worked fine all last season. Well put the light on for this season and first time out the light would work sometimes and not others. Second time out the light worked perfect the whole storm. And since then only the one bulb works. Both rotators have worked flawlessly the entire time. Just wondering if there is anything I should look at other than trying a new bulb. Clean the connectors? Any input would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
  2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

Take the bulbs out and clean the contacts.

I am trying to remember if the highlighter uses the rotor style where the bulb is stationary or turns with the reflector.
  3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

the bulb on the highlighters is stationary. Does not spin with the rotator.
  4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Ok...What type of bulb is it? If its and H1 Bulb (has a spade on the bottom of it) it's the wire under the rotator. It either has corrosion on it or the female connector where you plug the bulb in is loose and needs to be replaced. You can pull the rotator off the motor and just pop the wire off, replace the female and re-attach it and you should be good to go.

If it's got an S796 bulb your probably looking at either the corrosion factor or the base will need replaced. It may have a small crack in it.

Either way it's not that bad of a repair job.
  5. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies, tomorrow I will take a look at it and hopefully get it working 100%
  6. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Well all is now working 100%
    Opened the light up took the bulb out and it was burnt up.
    Put a new one in and had 2 bulbs shining the way its supposed to be.
    Thanks for all the help again guys.
  7. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

If that happens again, do check the connector. I'm glad it's working well for you.

Stay Safe!