1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Federal Govt Snow Contracts?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PerfiCut L&L, Dec 26, 2006.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Anyone have a snow contract for the federal government? if so, how well has that worked out for you and how did you go about finding/getting it?

My father works at the Naval Academy in Annapolis Maryland, and has insight to some of the numbers on their contracts that the Navy pays for certain jobs. I'm thinking about bidding when the current contract runs out.

2. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Two things come to mind from reading your post -

First: Since it's a government contract, aren't all of the previous numbers public information?

Second: If my first thought is right, it really wouldn't matter if your father has insight or not, you would still have access to the previous prices. But, if my first thought is wrong, wouldn't it be improper for your father to be able to "help" you out with preferential treatment in regard to pricing?

I don't mean this specifically toward you and this situation, but generally speaking for government contracting.

3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

its public what they pay.
    You just have to know how to get the info.

its just snowplowing- not revealing the names of navy seals:D

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Best bet is to find or get in contact with the COR (Contract Office Representative). There is one for every contract. Get a good in with him and ask for a copy of the current contract and bids. He will offer it up as he should. Be forewarned the contract will have about 200 pages of boiler plate stuff and about 2 pages of snow plow stuff.

On the bad side, if you are not a veteran you will most likely lose preference somewhat. This is were getting with the COR will help.

5. PerfiCut L&L

OK, disregard the fact my father has access to the numbers. Thats irrelevant, and has no bearing on my question. The question is Anyone have a snow contract with the federal government? if so, how well has that worked out for you and how did you go about finding/getting it?

Dont read into it the post...see a question , have an anser... great... share it? even better.

Thank you...I will look into this... and yes I do have veterans preference. 10 years in the A.F, 5 years with D.O.D.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  6. Lawnscape89

I don't think I read anything in to the post, you wrote it and indicated that your father has insight to the numbers. I was just saying that government contracts are public info and that everyone would have access to the numbers. Sorry if you found it offensive as that was not my intention and I tried not to sound that way.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have had a snow and lawncare contract with the National Weather Service for about 8 years now. Its not much different than any other accounts. Go to the office of the agency that you want to bid , and just ask to be put on the bidder list. And there is NO preferential treatment to vendors who are veterans, only small business and minority companies. A small business has fewer than 5000 employees. The current contract dollar amount is public knowledge, but not the vendor name necessarily.
    Things that are different. # 1 All payments to you are direct deposit
    #2 You need a DUNS number #3 Contract year start dates may vary
    # 4 Feds dont pay any state sales tax, etc.

8. PerfiCut L&L

Mark, thanks... thats the sort of information I was looking for. We havent bid or been privilidged to any solicitations from federal agencies but I have thought about looking into it. Never hurts to get as much information as you can. Sort it out, and use what you can when you can.

LS89: no problem. Perhaps I was a bit short fused as well, my apologies. Sometimes its frustrating when I post or see a thread started by someone, with a question, and 9 out of ten responses have to do with "do a search", or derogitory comments about the post, poster, or reasons for even posting.

Sometimes I find myself just wanting to be blunt, and just come right out and ask a simple question. But I found if you dont give a little insight as to why your asking it, or what lead you to the point where it was necessary to post it, people tend to want to heckle you instead of just answering it.

Anyway, no offense taken.

9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Maybe not at weather but try at DOD. The awarding of contracts to a Disabled Veteran is covered under a few laws now.

I used to be a COR and most of out grounds maintenance contracts were awarded to vets. Plus they know there way around. Lot easier.

10. Lawnscape89

No problem. The last thing I want to do is cause a post to become an argument.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

There is no "special treatment" when it comes to any govt. issues. We picked up a govt. contract this year and I'll never do it again! Lowest bidder usually gets it, take forever to get paid,at least 30-45 days. We're still waiting and its been awhile since we invoiced them.

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I wish all my customers payed in 45 days!

13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

you should see if they have a government debit card.
    The transaction fees are like 50 cents or something stupid and you have your money THAT day.

14. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

your misinformed. all the agencies (from porth authority, epa, usace, air force, dot) we have done landscaping/hydroseeding for has setasides for SBE's and M/WBE's. Some agencies even have a 10-15% preference in price to use them.. Luckily our biz is a WBE and SBE

15. Brian Young

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time following what the hell you are saying.:confused:

16. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

you said there was no "special treatment" for govt contracts. but there is. if your a minority, woman, veteran etc you get special treatment most of the time when it comes to govt. contracts...

17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Maybe here would help.
    http://www.doi.gov/osdbu/veterans.html

Not sure why the government would set up an "Office of Small and Disadvantage Business Utilization" with a branch to oversee that federal government contracts were awarded in compliance to the Veterans Benefit Act (among many others), if there was no special treatment.

True on the low-bid though and it was a terrible thing to go through, but there were ways around that.

FYI anyone dealing with the federal government surely went through the application process at www.ccr.gov. Surely would of been obvious what the questions regarding women owned business, veterans owned business, etc; were for.

Then again what the heck do I know, I only awarded the contracts at one time.

18. Brian Young

I see, well my wife owns our business and I can almost bet the farm we would have lost the account if it were any higher than it was. But yeah, I didnt even think of that.

19. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I dont know if you would consider it a Federal Govt contract, but i plow a couple post offices. NO problems getting paid, after you are " in the system"
    First time took about 21 days to get a check. After that, no problems. They do however have certain requirements to the contract, and certain things you have to do to get paid.

20. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

i didn't say all agencies but a lot do. I know there are a few in NJ. that we can be 10 to15% higher than the next bidder and still get the job!