1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up with Fisher's Quality Control

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RepoMan207, Nov 26, 2013.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Ah yes, my 6th XLS, and yet another bad apple. It seems like an odds game, there is such a lack of quality control at Douglas Dynamics, that it's just a matter of time before you get burnt. It's not a matter if you're going to get burnt, but rather when, especially the more and more you buy from them.

My First XLS had a pump issue (or better put; pumps). My favorite part about that whole debacle was that I was supposedly imagining things. That is until they replaced it for the 3rd time. The 3rd XLS had powder coating issues, I sold that one quickly. That leads me to XLS #6. Paint in the wing chambers are pealing off in sheets. It's also chipping off on the backside, and places that don't even see use. A fellow PS member pointed this out to me when he discovered the same issue on his. He got a new blade assembly. Me? Not so much, I get the run around and excuses. As requested, I went to a local dealer, and had some photos taken. That dealer noticed the left wing chamber had been blown out in one spot. "Inverted dent" as he called it, with what looks like a hairline crack along the top edge. No damage to the plow at all, no dings, dents, scratches...nadda. Of course, now they're claiming it was from a "hard hit". BS. I should of known that was coming. If the wing is all the way out...how does the impact hit, that far in on the blade? :rolleyes: Hard hit...yeah, I'll get right on that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. RepoMan207

from Maine

3. RepoMan207

from Maine

I picked up a deflector for it when I purchased it. Check out that quality paint job... Good job guys, keep up the good work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

During assembly I noticed they started installing the pole guide brackets at the factory, kind of neat I thought, that is until I noticed they mounted the hardware for it backwards. Which the average guy wouldn't think twice about, that is unless you know the consequences for such a simple error. When the wing slaps in during retraction, it slams against the edge of the blade, the protruding bolts then dent the edge of the moldboard, and chip the paint. The longer it goes un corrected, the worse it gets. Which whatever, but that's the just the start of it; the dents that are created now gouge the wing every time it extends, and retracts. Poor Joe Shmoe wouldn't know anything about this. I had previously learned the hard way on XLS #1..or #2....I forget. The photo above is what mine came like. The photos below is what would of happened. I have to wonder how many guys out there have unknowingly self destructed their plow wings over Fisher's lack of QC....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Please don't take this the wrong way, if you are so unhappy why do you continue buying yellow?

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm not unhappy with the plow...hell, I'd be first to stand up and tell you what a great plow the xls can be. It's the fact that Fisher knows how to get it right, but, they're their own worst enemy when it comes to quality control.

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Ryan I have found you get the best results after going straight to the top. Send James L. Janick an email. He is CEO of DD. I fought with customer service of BRP for months. Sent on email to the CEO and everything got resolved in a week. Same thing with Lowes.

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I was wondering the same thing. Obviously you like them enough to have bought 6 xls plows. If you had that many problems after the second one why didn't you switch to boss, western, snow dogg, etc? Personally I wouldn't have been too worried about the paint flaking off in the wing channels since its bound to happen anyhow.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Excellent! Thank you for that.

11. kimber750

Just hope it helps. After my email to Lowes' CEO I got phone calls from the store manager where I had the issue, Regional marketing director and customer service director the next day.

12. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Ryan - Feel free to give me a call tomorrow morning.

John Murphy
    VP, Sales
    Douglas Dynamics
    207-701-4230

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'll do that John. Thank you.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Paint rubbing off is one thing, I've owned enough of these to know whats typical, and whats not. The fact that it's coming off in places that it shouldn't, and has never before, on the plows that I've owned... that's a longevity / value thing to me.

In regards to brand swapping, a V plow is nice, but not as nice as the multi positional plows, which D&D has nailed down...Western is the same company, Snow Dogg is like a cheap revision of a Pinto (sorry Bobby :D), and Boss doesn't have anything like it. Mix in the fact that it's a Fisher...it's like cheering for the Red Sox...ok, maybe that's a little harsh lol.

It's not just this, this just threw me over the top because it effects me directly...call me narcissistic, but it's true. I've seen & heard some crazy things over the last 5+ years when it comes to things that could of been prevented through QC, forget the mis attention during the process, QC is suppose to be the fail safe, and I recognize that it takes time to get back on track...but come on, owe it when you break it, don't blame the damn consumer when you know full well it isn't true.

Case in point, Sam Lanning (My point person thus far at Fisher...very unlucky man for having to deal with me in a bad mood, guy deserves something for that.)...anyway, he chats it up with the Rockland tech guys, and he reports back that it's "normal" "torquing" and doesn't effect anything, and therefor not a warranty issue. I obviously rebuff that with: You're all crazy if you guys are calling that normal. Fast forward a day, Sam, fighting the good fight, contacts some guy named Hall, or something-ur-other, who supposedly designed, and engineered the XLS...runs tests, and, or does something fantastic with something, whatever, so he tells Sam after looking at the pictures (I'm obviously paraphrasing here, as this is all second hand.) "We've never seen this happen before, not this far in, it typically happens out towards the edge. However it would have to be from a hard hit.." Well, if you've never seen this happen before...how the heck would you know it was from abuse? First instinct..look the plow over, any signs of damage, abuse, hard hits, tweaking...nope, nadda...but hey, it's a abuse because the expert says so :rolleyes:. That's just insult to injury right there. Back track that to the explanation of yesterday (less then 24 hours before), of "It's normal torquing"....If it's so normal, why is this the first time I've had this happen to me? I guess it's a matter of what time of the day, and who you ask. :mad:

15. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Evidently you haven't owned enough of them to realize that they are not even painted, they are powder coated.

Are you looking for a snowplow or a showplow? To me it seems as though the majority of what you are complaining about it little nit picky PIA BS. :dizzy: The plow is a tool that is meant to be used and worked not something that is to be placed on a pedestal and to be admired.

FWIW I think your public quest to shame Fisher into comping you something is one of the lamest and most pathetic things I have encountered on this site in a long time. John and everyone up at Fisher are great people to deal with and produce some of the best products available on the market.

16. tyler886

tyler886 Member
    from RI

What did Mr. Murphy have to say about the situation?

17. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

John is a great guy to deal with. Whenever I had a problem he would answer his phone and help me get an answer.

18. kimber750

I will have to disagree here. The paint/powder coat is there to protect our investment. If not applied correctly it will shorten that life of that investment. If the paint started flaking off your new truck would you complain? If they have never seen this happen before it has to be a flaw somewhere in the manufacturing process. Of course I am going by what I have read and seen here but Ryan has been one of the largest supporters of Fisher's product and I doubt he looking for a hand out.

I don't believe anyone has said the people at Fisher were anything but good. Just sometimes it requires a public outcry to get their attention, otherwise they company will just keep pushing you to the side waiting for you to give up. If they can not even follow their own directions for the marker install what makes you think they followed the directions or protocol for applying the powder coat?

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

As always Bid D, your insight is so inspirational...of hate and discontent that is. Doesn't matter how right, or wrong you are, on any topic. I treat them for what they are; trash. This thread, and topic is so far from the point, of this particular post. I think I speak for many, if not just for myself, when I say that your demeanor, and ego are appalling. I don't know who you think you are, but you're nothing special in my book, just another troll with nothing better to do.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  20. RepoMan207

from Maine

To which he did, as expected, he was knowledgeable & professional. His offer is to come get it this spring, and tear it down and see what's what. I'm concerned about the crushing / dent, but he said they'd rectify the situation one way or the other. Honestly, I think I'm going to cut my losses, and sell this one, and buy another one. If not, it'll be taking care of in the spring.