1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FD Snowplow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by graycenphil, Feb 22, 2010.

1. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Not really my own vehicles, but interesting anyway.

2. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

lookslike just another f 250 with a plow
  3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

our fd has their own plow on a truck just like that
    makes sense to me
    saves them some money too
  4. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I like the plow markers :D
  5. engine51

engine51 Junior Member

That's a great idea, it would be really cool to put a plow on our squad truck.
  6. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

You would think for a fire dept. It would be alot cleaner and in better condition...
  7. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

It is a FDNY snow plow truck....obv you have never been down there to really no why there equipment looks like it does....Their firetrucks all get wrecked or broken into at least once a week.....
  8. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

That is pretty neat truck. We plow are fire depts here in Madison.
  10. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Glad to see the FDNY rig. I plow for a EMS agency in south central PA. 5 stations and assist on calls. Rig is a 1999 F250 with 30000 miles to date. 7.5 Meyers and Buyer tailgate spreader. I get pics on someday.
  11. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Paid depts are poor when it comes to this stuff. The vollies are the ones with the big flash trucks.
  12. plowking15

plowking15 Member

Our fire dept. doesn't have a plow,we[ highway dept.] have to go around and plow out the dry hydrants or cisterns. The dry hydrant is approx. 30,000 gallons,these tanks are required in newer developments because we don't have a municipal water supply, just private wells. We can also send a truck to plow or sand for the fire dept. emts on emergency calls, accident scenes. plowking
  13. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Thats right.

I always say paid depts have Working trucks and vollies have Show trucks.
  14. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Those plow markers are classic.
  15. hdff

hdff Junior Member

I got a really good deal, my FD bought this plow in 2003 they put it on another members truck for free, all he had to do was plow the fire house lot as his first priority and keep it open,and then he could use it all he wanted on his own jobs to make money, long story short he didnt do a good job and he could not commit to doing it anymore, so last winter I told them I would take it over, the FD paid to have it installed and all I have to do is make sure the lot is open, this is my second season and so far they are very happy, I am just starting to do some of my own stuff on the side, I'd like to get a salt spreader for it yet, hopefully by next year.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  16. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't believe a FD would do that with tax dollars. Do you make money with that plow?
  17. hdff

hdff Junior Member

It is money from a trust fund the dept. has which is interest, besides they would have to pay for snow removal anyway this plow has paid for itself almost twice. so as far as being fiscally responsible the residents apreciate it, we actually save ourselves (and the residents that donate to us) money, and I also plow out for EMS and our apparatus when we get calls and can't get in, just the last storm we had a congestive heart failure call, I got their just before EMS and opened a wide lane for them to get in and out, instead of them getting stuck in over a foot of snow and not being able to help the patient, so all works out well
  18. hdff

hdff Junior Member

Here is the FD lot that needs plowed, it costs us alot of money to have this plowed, but now with the money saved since buying the plow in 2003 the FD basically gets plowed out for free with the exception of any salt that needs spread, and then the FD only pays for the salt, the members spread it with a walk behind spreader, and yes I make a little money with it to pay for my gas for plowing the FD lot and my side plowing barely covers the cost of gas, so I am really giving the FD alot of service for free if you consider the wear and tear on my truck and all the gas, but I don't mind one bit, it is part of my duty as a volunteer and I am proud to help.
  19. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

My buddy is the mechanic for the local fire dept. They have a huge budget and always have new trucks and state of the art equipment. Most of the stuff he fixes is not from fire calls, rather from the guys driving around because they think it's fun to drive big trucks. He gets pretty pissed off when they break something major and it had nothing to do with actual emergency.
  20. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I'm not going to start a full time vs volly war but I know that there are volunteer depts that are running over a 1000 calls a year. Maybe it touches a nerve with me because I'm a volunteer myself.

Why doesn't the city PWD take care of clearing snow at the stations? That seems odd that the city wouldn't take care of the city's FD. Our PWD clears our parking lot, the station apron as well as the PD station.