1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

faxing bill

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bcf, Jan 18, 2004.

1. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Is this alright to do? I have a cunstomer who runs her business out of her house. I mailed a bill the other day, but was wondering if it would be unprofessional to fax her. Not because of the price of stamps and envelope, mostly for quicker payment.

2. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

FAX? Sure why not we actually we have a few accounts which we email the bills to them as soon as they are done. comes in handy for a management company we have we email the bill to our contact there and they email a copy to the board president and they approve it and about 10 days later we have a check. If we did it by snail mail it takes 30 days+.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Just as long as they get the bill and you get paid!:D payup

4. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

Ask them what they prefer.

5. DJL

DJL Senior Member

The commercial account we have prefers that we fax them and therefore we do. Now, we haven't had a problem yet with the "I never received your fax." However, to CYA, set your fax machine to print out a copy of the 'send report.' By doing this you get a confirmation that the fax was sent successfully (or not).

Next, staple this to the invoice/bill and keep in your records. That way if the aforementioned happens you have something to go back at them with. Bottom line, try it, as soon as it causes the slightest problem you could always go back to snail mail, email, whatever you feel would be best.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I have a few customers I was going to do that with also and two of the three said no because they didn't want to have to be standing by the fax machine when there bills were sent. They were concerned with employee's seeing anything about bills and the business. Oh well, still mailing......:)

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Speaking from the other side - I prefer email billings from suppliers. This lets me leave them in the Inbox until I'm ready to pay them. I also use an online billpayer so I copy the amount and paste to the amount to send. I've got a folder in email account I keep the online bills. Good double check of what was billed and paid, a record for tax purposes and online tracking of income/expenses. Then I make a backup copy on floppy disc.

I'd have to agree that a fax might not be the way to go. You could ask them, though.

8. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

All invoices via email attachments. If they don't have email, I pass.

9. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Amen to passing on clients w/out email. If they are that far in the past, the problems are only starting. Realtors STILL try and fax me information when it is all available on the internet, IN COLOR.