1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

faulty Dodge Blizzard design or lazy install???

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ed salvatore, Nov 24, 2005.

1. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Happy T-Day Folks!

Truck - 2005 dodge ram 2500 Quad w/Hemi
    Plow - Blizzard 800, "32057" undercarriage number
    Problem - driver's side upper attachment arm, not resting up tight against bottom of frame rail, unlike passenger side which sits tight against bottom of frame rail

Had the above just installed by factory Blizzard dealer. I noticed driver's side upper attachment arm does not make contact with underside of frame rail where "shoulder"/"shelf" is designed to fit up tight underneath frame rail. I can slide my hand in between the two.

Original installer said bring truck back, we'll look at it. :confused: Another Blizzard dealer says it's inherent with Dodges, need to weld small piece of filler stock to fill in gap. A third Blizzard dealer says it's just lazy installation that factory hole was not "enlarged so that arm could be positioned up higher on frame thus allowing "shelf" to fit flush up underneath frame rail:nono: . Called Blizzard, was told "will ask engineers" and call back within a few days. Maybe Dodge changed frame from prototype used for design of attachment arm.:(

Feeling now that I should have spent the extra $ for more professional installation.:eek: Really curious!! Thoughts, other Dodge owners??????????

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the same truck as you, I will check tomorrow and see if I have the same problem and get back you...Sounds like a sh*tty deal either way..:nod:
  3. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

got the same truck i had to make hole bigger on driver side frame rail :angry: for the boss mount did the same thing you are talking about
  4. paulsauto

paulsauto Member

I wouldn't enlarge the mount hole or the frame hole. You're just asking for the bracket to work loose. I think the bracket is strong enough to do it's job with out being up against the frame. It's heavy enough. I have not seen any problems with this set up. I have installed 5 810's on new dodges. Latest was a 2006 POWER WAGON . front and rear diff lockers, 4:56 gears, had to remove the 12,000 pound factory winch to mount the hangers though. Good luck on your dodge. check the bracket frequently and let me know if it moves and maybe I'll modify my future installs to prevent a problem.
  5. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

To Pauls Auto

First, thanks to all you guys for the advice. Plse. keep it coming.

It looks as though the upper bolt hole in the attachment arm is slotted vertically. I was wandering if the upper bolt could be loosened just a hair???????, and the two lower, smaller bolts loosened a little as well (much easier). Then, roll a floor jack in underneath the attachment arm, and using the weight of the truck, just jack it up a little to see if it slides up the slot a bit, and the gap closes up against the frame??????.

Otherwise, when plowing and that attachment arm is torqued, I would guess it will be applying all the pressure up through itself to that one upper bolt, which worries me.

What do you think???? (that upper bolt (15/16 I think) is a bear to loosen though, haven't been able to yet, need to buy a box wrench that size to fit inside the steering shaft knuckle).

Also, can you guide me? The lower factory fog lights do not work now since the install. Can you direct me to the correct wiring plug??

Thanks a bunch!
  6. paulsauto

paulsauto Member

the fog lights need to be plugged back in drivers side harness under bumper one plug for both lights. 15/16 is right size . you can try but my experience is the push beam and two other brackets on the drivers side are so ridged that nothing will move even if you loosen the bracket back to the frame. good luck hope I was help.
  7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

ed your aproch to tightning up this space is the way I have been doing Meyer blades for 20+ years and it works for me. The shelf is desined to rest on the frame to transfer the enegry that way. the bolts are there to hold the frame in place not transfer all the energy through them. For Blizard to tell you they will get back to you in a few days is very poor support. With the bolts doing all the work they will loosen, and could twist the truck frame.
  8. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

may be time to go to the welding shop

I appreciate the help Paul, Dwan, Mr Plow 2, and Epic.

I'll try to see if I can even budge this upper bolt. If I can, I'll loosen the other two on the lower plate, and then just slide the floor jack under the arm, and jack it up very carefully, watching to see if it slides tighter up the slot and then meets the frame. Theoreticaly, it should, but.........as Paul says, I think those things are a bear to move and adjust.

If not, I'm done. It's off to the welding shop for a piece of filler stock and a couple other 2" beads along the attachment arm and the frame. Just to make sure.

Paul, thanks for the fog light info also. I'll see if I can find it and plug it back in. I'll look behind the bumper on the driver's side.

Dwan, stay warm up there in Alaska, you too Paul.

Let it snow