1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fastest Plow Truck in Schoolcraft, MI

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QuadPlower, Feb 23, 2009.

1. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

My son is a Wolf in Cub Scouts and they held their annual Pine Wood Derby last Saturday. His car came in first place against his Den and in the "King Of The Hill" race he also took first place.

I entered a car in the Adult class. Winning runs in the family as my truck also took first place.

8255288.jpg

I don't know if the track is a standard length for all Pine Wood Derby races so the times might not mean anything to other racers. My son's best time was 3.0369 and my best time was 3.0708.

Everyone had a good time.

8255288.jpg

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Congrat's thats one sick ride !!!!!

3. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

That's awesome! I have never seen a car like that. I don't think I would have thought to build a plow truck, it has to be the first one built.

4. Shubootee

Shubootee Junior Member

Hey, congats !

Although you should have known you would have bettered your time if you'd angled the plow :D

tymusic

5. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

GENIUS! Wish me and my dad would've thought of that when I was in Cub Scouts.

What'd you use to make the plow?

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

WOW thats great. I remember making mine. No where as nice as that. I just hollowed out the front end and dripped Soilder in it. That way I was at the max weight. Then slapped some paint on it.

7. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

We (my dad and I) would always melt lead about pour it into a hold we had drilled on the underside a little forward of the midpoint.

8. QuadPlower

That is a standard issue, pine wood derby block of wood. I cut it on the band saw and it is all one piece. At least it was until I dropped it and the blade split. You can just see the crack where I used silicone to glue it back together.

The weights in the back are from a local tire store. They are the stick on wheel weights. I was going to paint the back row of the weights yellow to look like cement bags.

I had the logo made at my sign shop. They didn't even charge me for it because they thought it was such a great idea. And its only an 1" x 1".

The "flashing light" on the top is the top to a electric wire nut. You know the thing you stick two wires in and twist it to secure them. I ground it smooth on my grinder and then cut the top off. It is also held on by blue silicone. I really should get some wood glue for next year.

My son and I had a great time building the two cars. He was soooooo happy when his came in first place after being 3rd from last, last year.

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

That is just so awesome. Your son must be very proud. Of course, I know YOU'RE not lacking in pride for him right now, either.:)
    Having no kids, myself, and never being married,...it is things like this that I think about. Keep up the good work, and hold on that baby! You will be able to look at them years later, and have the memories. I still have my Pinewood Derby car (I am 44), and it is a treasured item. Mine won the prize for the best looking one. It was built like an old classic racecar and was all rounded smooth edges. Dad even did a clear curved round top windshield on it with a small piece of clear plastic.
    Good luck with your future events, and make the best of every moment.:waving:

10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You think it's fast now, put a Vee plow on the front of that thing.......:D

11. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

And paint it red...LOL

Looks good...congrats!!

12. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

Now dad, you didn't help him did you?? LOL

13. QuadPlower

I don't know what you are talking about?

He designed his and I used the power tools. He did all the art work and it won "Most Colorful" as voted on by his peers.

My truck has a V-plow on it, but that would be very hard to cut out. The Pine Wood is based on this truck.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=76199&page=2

Scroll down to see it.

14. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

I was kidding, I did the scout thing as a leader when my son was in. All the camping and it seemed we were always setting up in the rain. LOL BTW concrats on the wins for both of you.

15. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

It's been a couple of years now since my son has been in Cub Scouts but I was a leader and built my own cars for the leaders race....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pre paint...

[​IMG]

16. Shubootee

Shubootee Junior Member

Wow, heck of a paint job on the car 04sd, should drop off my car to you :D

17. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Clear coat in a spray can :)

18. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I never thought about a snow plow racer. I still do some cars for the nephews and their dad works for the township and plows snow in the winter, big orange dump truck, maybe next year.

19. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

04SD...
    The tow truck wasnt made with the standard block.....was it?
    Turned out great!

And I also love the plow truck!

20. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Both the car and truck started with the standard block and then I just kept adding to it. The tough part is keeping the weight down to the 5 oz max. The cab is mostly hollowed out and the engine is balsa wood.